Server time is 25 minutes fast

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I've noticed that the time on the AAC server seems to be creeping slowly ahead.

While being ahead of your time is sometimes good, this could cause some real problems down the road when it's eventually corrected; ie: out-of-order replies to posts as we observed a few months ago.

As it is, to reduce the out-of-order situation, I suggest that the clock be gradually corrected over several days, perhaps re-setting the clock by 10 minute increments during slow periods, so that there will be a minimum of out-of-order posts.

I suggest that whomever is maintaining the server should have a look at the FAQ on the NIST site about how to synchronize server clocks with NIST.
http://tf.nist.gov/service/its.htm
I've done this with my computers; it's very easy to do with Win XP Pro. YMMV.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The time sync has its moments from time-to-time, and we changed and corrected the sync mechanism last time; not sure what has kicked it in this time.

Thanks for pointing this out Wook.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Thanks SgtWookie for bringing this up. I did install ntpd on the server, but it must have stopped running earlier this week for some reason. I like your suggestion of slowly setting the time back, which I will do over the weekend and then restart ntpd.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Cool beans! Thanks :)

Hmmm - 18 minutes off? (my computer clock is synched to time-b.nist.gov - I just re-synched, and it's within a few mS)

OK everybody, set your PC's clocks ;)

[eta] 5/13 3:46PM - 10 minutes off now - making some time up here ;)

[eta] 5/13 11:42PM - 9 minutes off - getting closer!

[eta] 5/14 1:30PM - spot on :)

[eta] 5/14 9:30PM - 3 minutes fast???

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Wow, something really odd is going on with the server time. I've never seen a server gain 3 minutes inside of 8 hours unless someone was fiddling with it.

Maybe the AllAboutCircuits server should synch time to jrap's computer instead of trying to synch to NIST? Sometimes the pipeline across the big pond can be rather stuffed up. I don't know, it's just another possible option.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
It's driving me a little bonkers heh , still trying to nail down exactly what the problem is. Linux is fun :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
LOL!
Well, I'm just trying to help by documenting a bit of the time fluctuations that I notice, when I think to check. The clock on my computer always seems to be within a few milliseconds, even before I set up the synch to NIST. Not trying to drive you nuts or anything - just documenting what I observe.

I've heard great things about Linus' code. What I'd worry about would be the 3rd party code. Eh - what's one to do?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Wookie I appreciate the observations and your help! It's the troubleshooting that was driving me a little nuts (in a good way, I love troubleshooting heh, always learn something from it).

The time seems to be correct again. I think I have gotten it sorted out, hopefully!