Series RLC

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Xolisa.X, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Xolisa.X

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    here is the question.......A series AC cuicuit consist of a resistor AB, an inductor BC ,and a capacitor DC when a current of 5A flow through the circiut the voltage across varius parts is of the circuits are:VAB=60V,VBC=130V,VAC=160V and the supply voltage is 140V 50HZ. if overall p.f is lagging calculate
    1.1 The value of capacitor,resistor and inductor
    1.2 The overall p.f

plz help this question come in every test and exam....its 10 percent of the paper!!!!!!!!!!!

2. guitarguy12387

Apr 10, 2008
    Can you be a little more specific on the supply voltage? is it a sinusoidal source? Can you represent it in phasor form for us?

3. Xolisa.X

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Ok........The HINT of that question is "Draw phasor diagram first"....and the supply voltage is a AC and its frequency is 50Hz...

4. guitarguy12387

Apr 10, 2008
    Hey. I'm a little confused about this question for two reasons. 1. Are you supposed to figure out the phase angle of the supply voltage, or do you assume it is 0, or what?. 2. Are those voltage drops across those circuit elements just the magnitude? Because you should be getting a phase shift across the inductor and capacitor... that is, they should have non-zero real AND imaginary parts.

5. Caveman

Apr 15, 2008
    It doesn't work out. Since the current through the resistor and inductor is shared, their voltages must be 90 degrees out of phase. And the magnitude of the sum of their voltages is through the pythagorean theorem. However, 60^2 + 130^2 does not equal 160^2.

6. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    Vxy=IZxy
    for pure resistor Z=R
    pure cap; Z= 1/(2pi*frequency*C)=Xc
    pure Inductance; Z= frequency*2pi*L=Xl
    where C is capacitance and L is inductance.

total impedance
    Z= sqrt(R^2 + (Xl -Xc)^2)

Pf = R/Z.

7. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Have you drawn the circuit yet?

8. tronics

Apr 16, 2008
    v/i will give you the reactance, so say 130 v /5 amps will igve you the reactance of what ever the volatge is across,5 amps will be common as itsa series circuit. once you have done i times v on all the compnents,140 volts/5 amps gives you total circuit impeadance.to get capacitor value, transpose to get c , you have xc v/5 amps, then use 1/2 pie.xc=c inductance L = xl/2 pie f r=v/i p.f =r/z

Hope that helps

9. tronics

Apr 16, 2008
    mis type sorry v/i gives you reactance lol, sorry