series parallel trick question

groundcontrol

Joined Sep 1, 2015
Hi there,
I am having trouble getting my voltage drop values across each resistor to add up to the source voltage. I can't for the life of me see where I have gone wrong and its driving me nuts as I'm sure people on here will probably understand.. its driving me insane

If anyone can see the error in my ways I wold be so grateful !?!?

I have attached a 3 pics;
the original circuit diagram (its a trick question - and its working)
my table of values - where something has gone wrong, I've stopped before completing it because it wasn't adding up.
my redraw's in case that's the problem

I hope someone is out there who is up for it, please help?

ps pls excuse my hand drawing, I am yet to figure out how to get eagle to put components in on an angle. One thing at a time I guessoriginal circuit.JPGtable of values so far.JPGre draws.JPG

groundcontrol

Joined Sep 1, 2015
Hi ! Yay.. it sounds like this is not going to be an mystery forever :D THANK YOU hopefully

To my understand thing , the 390mA is the Total current.

IT - VT/RT

IT = 24v / 61.5 ohms = 0.390A

I dont understand what I am missing.. Is there another step beforehand or ??? please?

JoyAm

Joined Aug 21, 2014
Hi ! Yay.. it sounds like this is not going to be an mystery forever :D THANK YOU hopefully

To my understand thing , the 390mA is the Total current.

IT - VT/RT

IT = 24v / 61.5 ohms = 0.390A

I dont understand what I am missing.. Is there another step beforehand or ??? please?
I dont understand what you are missing either since you know what the current/voltage is in every element of your circuit

groundcontrol

Joined Sep 1, 2015
Oh.. Jony130, you're right. Whats happened is that I have gone and added up ALL the voltages as if ALL resistors were in series;

R1 + R2 + R3... and obviously ended up exceeding 24volts ,

The answer thanks to you guys for helping me see, is;

VT = Voltage Drop across R1 + R3 = 10.5v + 13.5v = 24v
VT = Voltage Drop across R2 + R4 = 4.8v + 19.2V = 24v

Thank you, well I've managed to be wrong even when I'm right ha, thats gotta be some kind of record heh. Thanks again :)