Series-Paralell circuit for windmill charging

coach696

Joined Sep 27, 2009
I am building a 12 Volt Wind Turbine to produce electricity. I want to output the electricity through a grid tie inverter that requires 14 - 24 Volts of DC current. Can I wire up (2) 12 volt batteries in paralell and series to charge at 12Volts and output to the inverter at 24 Volts?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You will not be able to wire 2 batteries in parallel AND series, if you are charging at 12 and running it at 24 Volts, this will create a direct short on one of your batteries..... only thing I could suggest is that wire in a DPDT relay to where when you are charging, they are parallel, when using the power switch to series.... but the only down side is that you wont be able to charge and use the power at the same time....:(

I have built a windmill generator myself >> http://www.morse-code.com/windmill_generator.htm

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I am building a 12 Volt Wind Turbine to produce electricity. I want to output the electricity through a grid tie inverter that requires 14 - 24 Volts of DC current. Can I wire up (2) 12 volt batteries in paralell and series to charge at 12Volts and output to the inverter at 24 Volts?
This is just a crazy idea - somewhat inefficient due to the steering diode losses - but no electro-mechanical parts to wear out.

Cost will be a significant factor of course!

Just shows you can do something electronically if you really want to "solve" the problem.

Good luck with the project.

Attachments