series and parralle resistor

07kim36

Joined Apr 5, 2013
is it possible to calculate voltage drop of each resistor in this type of circuit ?

the circuit diagram is in the attachment..

Attachments

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
You have posted in the homework help forum, so I assume this is a homework problem.

Is the problem to simply determine if it's possible calculate the voltages, or are you supposed to actually do it?

If you are supposed to do the calculation, then you should show your attempt at a solution.

07kim36

Joined Apr 5, 2013
is it possible to calculate voltage drop of each resistor in this type of circuit ?

the circuit diagram is in the attachment..
what i did
[(R6+R5)//R4 ]+R3 =x
(x//R2)+R1 = 7.97Ω .

but this is only the total equivalent resistance.. how to get the voltage drop across each resistor???

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
what i did
[(R6+R5)//R4 ]+R3 =x
(x//R2)+R1 = 7.97Ω .

but this is only the total equivalent resistance.. how to get the voltage drop across each resistor???
You combine all the resistors into a single resistor and calculate the current in it. Then you "unwind" each resistor branch, each time calculate the current iinto the right hand branch based on the resistance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ah... Thanks a bunch! I think I will NOT go check it out. I waste way too much time on this one. No need to double down.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You're the kind of friend that would offer a drunk a drink, aren't ya? :D

Not gonna do it. Not gonna go there. Nope. Not a chance.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since I'm not registered there, I don't know what time zone the timestamps are for. Hence I can't tell where she posted first or whether she was posting to both at the same time. Not that it matters and she's clearly entitled to seek help from as many places as she wants. Just kind of curious to see what one can puzzle out.

And, yes, I went there. But I did NOT register and I did NOT look around the place. So I'll give myself a B-.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Not a problem WBahn.

I think I hit ETO up before I found this board. You can tell where I spend my time by the massive amount of posting I've done over there (less than 100).

I recently went back there when I was "accidentally" banned here. I check in there now and then just to remind myself of that place and to see how many cross posters we get here in the homework section.

This remains my favorite.

I would never offer a drunk a drink. I don't drink, I know that "one is too many and fifty ain't enough" when it comes to me and drinking.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sometimes I think people spend more time and effort trying to find someone to do their homework for them than it could possibly take them to just do it themselves. This particular OP actually seemed to be trying to learn from the thread over at ETO, so I don't think this describes her, at least not completely.