Serial voltmeter with Pic16f84a

ssiko

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hello everyone ,
i'll say it out loud....from the start that i am relatively new to working with microcontrollers, so here's my project and here's my problem:
1st. My project :
i intended to build a serial voltmeter to check the voltage on a battery that is charged by solar energy . the initial project was intended with a pic16c711 so i bought this microcontroller and wanted to use the code that was given to program it. since i wasn't verry careful one of the pins broke and i can't use it anymore(in my area to get a pic16c711 the waitingtime is about 1 week)
so i decided to use a pic16f84a since the pins are similar.
2nd my problem
so i want to program a pic16f84a to have the RA0pin as input and the RB0 pin as digital output
so here id the code in mikrobasic that i have gotten so far , please help me add that else is needed and correct what's wrong.

main:
ANSEL = 0x17 ' Configure AN0 pin as analog
TRISA = 0xFF ' PORTA is input
ANSELH = 0 ' Configure other AN pins as digital I/O
TRISB = 0 ' PORTB is output

while (TRUE)
adc_rd = ADC_Read(0) ' get ADC value from 2nd channel
PORTB = adc_rd ' display adc_rd[7..0]
wend
end.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Pic16F84A doesen't have any analog input pins. You might have to wait until you get your new chip.
There are some methods for measuring analog voltages with digital pins but it probably isn't worth it. A quick google search should find some methods and there are some app notes on the microchip site about it.

ssiko

Joined Jan 10, 2010
hey thank you for your answer , i was so obsessed with finding a quick replacement that i overlooked the fact that pic16f84 didn't have an adc converter .
i might just use a simple adc converter by microchip , i think that might do it.
thx again :)