Serial Interfacing to Medical Machines

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by bradfordk, Sep 14, 2010.

1. bradfordk

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Morning Very new to all of this but this is what I need help doing.
    I would like to connect to our Medical equipments serial port and record the treatment parameters for the treatment run and also import it to a database to view and manipulate the information. The machine is able to do this, but it requires specific commands in order to send the requested information. I have the protocol of communication (see attached) for the machine for anyone willing to help.
    What i need is help to make this happen. Dont even know where to start.
    I do have a custom cable that was made for the connection.
    Thanks

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    So I understand you are connecting a medical device to what(?)..
    The physical interface is standard except for RTS which looks like a set it active and forget it control line.

The protocol is straightforward with respect to constructing the messages. Decoding them is only slightly harder. If you are connecting the machine to a PC you are going to have trouble finding one with a native serial port. You may be able to use a USB to serial converter but the RTS line may be a problem. What OS will you be running on the PC/laptop ie Windows, OS X, Linux what(?)

3. bradfordk

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    for right now i just need to connect it to a PC running XP or Win7. I am using a USB to serial connection. I had a hardware guy make a cable to get around the RTS. The cable layout is also attached. Eventually i will need to use a SERIAL over IP box in order to poll over 100 machines running all at the same time. Thanks for the interest

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    OK so on the PC side you need to activate DTR which will go to RTS on the machine.

Get yourself a free copy of MS Visual C++ 2008 and the windows API library documentation and start cranking code. The Windows programming book by Petzold has numerous useful templates. Good luck