Serial Flash comparison

gg.heato

Joined Sep 13, 2010
I'm doing a project that involves replacing a serial flash soic-16 to a bigger one.

im really a newbie at this when it comes to ics and such. can anyone let me know if i can replace a w25x32 with a MX25L6445E or even a MX25L12845E.
here are the links to the data sheets.

W25x32V

MX25L6445E

MX25L12845E

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You really haven't given us any requirements for doing the replacement so of course the answer is that you can design anything you want to.

If on the other hand you already have a PC board, and you want to drop another part in, well it depends....

gg.heato

Joined Sep 13, 2010
sorry about that.

im working on an airlink 101 board ar430w (clone of the dir-300 just at high freq i think) that has a 4MB serial flash (w25x32) chip. wanna replace it with something bigger. its an extra router that is just collecting dust. i have 4 of them and if this one is successful, i plan on doing the same on the rest.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well the good news is that with serial memories you can expand their size without undue difficulty. If you do this though how will the router firmware recognzie and utilize the additional space?

Putting that aside:
The replacement chip must

1. Have the same number of pins
  2. Have the same dimension
  3. Have power and ground in the same place
  4. Have the same functional signal at each pin location.
The signal names don't need to be identical, but the functions do.

gg.heato

Joined Sep 13, 2010
yeah i figured that much. the router already uses openwrt. what i had in mind is since im replacing the whole flash, i dump the boot loader and board data and reflash them onto the new one via its jtag interface. once the boot loader is written, ill just reflash the kernel and filesystem via tftp since writting via jtag is ridiculously slow.

i did post the links to the data sheets so that someone can verify that the chips are compatible. to me, vcc and gnd appear to be on same pins for those 3 chips but since i am a newbie, im not sure if the rest are the same. they use different names for most of the pins so its not just that theyre in a different order. if that where the case i could just use a socket board and reroute the pins to their proper places. i just want to be sure that the chips themselves have the same functions regardless of how theyre laid out pin-wise