Serial Eeproms

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tomo, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Tomo

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2008

Has any one done any work with serial eeproms

I want to use one as a fixed sequence controller - These seem like a simple way of performing my required function

I will program the eeprom with 8 sequences - (one word has 8 bits so I plan to select the sequence with jumpers on the address line and clock the sequence out using an astable 555 timer or similar

It will be used to operate a lighting sequencer

Let me know if you have any artwork, Gerber etc or are using the device for a similar application

Pete (Way down under - New Zealand)
  2. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    Do you have a specific part number in mind? The ones that I've used before were SPI devices, where the address and data had to be clocked in and out serially.
  3. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006
    You seem to have a somewhat romantic view of what is involved. Besides requiring an address they also require a command byte. Depending on the capacity the number of address bytes might be two to four. The smaller parts are by now quite obsolete. Again it would help immensely if you had a part number in mind.

You should also know that doing this with a microcontroller would be far easier, cheaper, more reliable, more flexible and so on.