serial communications transmitter and receiver

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by sawagedf, Oct 14, 2008.

1. sawagedf

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Hi my name is Fadi and I need immediate help for this project for my schoool. My teacher is jumping so fast in this course ( Digital Hardware Design) and it is making me even more confused . I am so worried about this class and I don't know where to start actually. If anyone can help me I would be so thankful
    the project is:

Using an FPGA operating at 50MHz, implement an asynchronous serial communications transmitter and
    receiver to communicate with a PC at 9600 baud or higher. Simulate, synthesize, evaluate, and optimize the
    design before downloading it to the FPGA hardware. Build the system in two stages: first implement the
    transmitter and then implement the receiver. Upon demonstrating a working transmitter design, a Xilinx
    Spartan III board will be checked out to groups of 2-students.​
    Part 1​
    . Evaluate and implement the code for the data-path and control system developed in class for the
    transmitter. Simulate, synthesize, optimize, and program the FPGA with your design and demonstrate its
    operation using a C-program, Hyper-terminal, Kermit terminal or other means.

Part 2. Design a data-path and control system to implement the receiver. Simulate, synthesize,​
    optimize, and program the FPGA with this design and test as using a means as in part 1.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You need to select a communications protocol to follow. That should start you on the implementation in the FPGA.

3. sawagedf

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Well. the thing is that the teacher is flying in this course and I don't know anything about using the xilinx software. I dont know what to do. But thank you anyway