sensor that can detect temperature from a distance

kdurobot

Joined Jun 11, 2011
i would like to ask what type of sensor that i can use to detect temperature of a person from a distance?im doing a project now.anyone,pls help me.i would appreciate it.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Two methods that come to mind are to detect the infrared emissions of the body and to use a remote device to monitor the temperature and send it wirelessly.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
It's quite tricky to measure body temperature at a distance as skin temperature is a lot lower than core body temperature. Look at thermal imaging photos of people for examples.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
For a remote sensor you'll need to use the IR method. Exergen makes several models, but having used their sensors once I found them to be temperamental and expensive.

I did successfully use another manufactures sensor to measure the temperature of a fluid within a tube that held an accuracy of ±0.5°C, but while I have the breadboard in my hand the part lacks a part number! That was a very fine unit that did the complete measurement and presented the final temperature data in serial format, an excellent use of 4 pins!
Update: Found em! Lookie here.

To get this to work, you need to know the "emissivity" of what you are sensing. As Exergen sells these things as human thermometers with full FDA approval that must be pretty much a constant for people.

Last edited: