Sensor modification - Microwave & PIR

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by KenB, Sep 6, 2009.

1. KenB

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    I have several dual tech microwave & pir alarm sensors and would like to know how they may be easily wired to suit an unconventional application.

The application is not to connect the sensors to an alarm panel, but to use them as stand-alone detectors displaying rear-facing (or remote) led(s) as opposed to, or in addition to, the usual positioning of "walktest" leds on the front panel and/or finding an output voltage to operate a buzzer on activation.

The sensors are:
    1. C & K dual tech, normal size, three leds, 12 metre range
    2. C & K dual tech DT-906, large size, three leds, 61 metre long range
    3. C & K dual tech DT-907, large size, three leds, 61 metre long range

The object of the project is to detect movement at various ranges and register a sensor's activation by an easily visible led and/or a low power audible alarm.

I hope someone can help, bearing in mind that I am not very clever at things electrical or mechanical.

Cheer, Ken

2. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    most of these devices detect motion within thier field of view. At least for the PIR component, a fresnel lens breaks the field into sections and layers them onto the sensor. In this manner it is impossible to detect which section of view contains the motion, hence distance or location cannot be identified.

3. KenB

Sep 5, 2009
    GetDeviceInfo,

Thanks for your reply. I replied in turn but see no record of what I sent. I'm just getting used to forum help.

Actual location and distance of detected movement is not all that important - just that it was detected, but I take your point that it is not possible to identify exact distance and location.

The problem remains one of how to be aware of detection by led or buzzer, and what, if any, of the connections on the device might be used for that purpose.

Cheers, Ken

4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I build PIR triggers for game cams, but I'm not familiar with those devices. You could hack into them but I don't think that's what your looking for.

5. KenB

Sep 5, 2009
    Thanks for trying to help. Hacking into anything is not my strong point. Once I start to dismantle anything or fix it, it never goes back together again, let alone work!

Cheers, Ken