Sensor Circuit

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The photogate unit is probably a digital device much like you have drawn. But since it is powered by a USB unit. It is probably driven by around 5 volt and not 6 volt. To do what you want you will need to tap into the signal and supply lines in the photogate itself. Is this something you have been able to do so far?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Judging by the considerable separation between transmitter and receiver in the photogate sensor shown, the internal electronics may be more complex (e.g. involving a pulse-coded carrier) than in the post #14 schematic. Are you really prepared to break open the (presumably expensive) sensor to find out and reverse-engineer the circuit?

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
I am fine with obtaining the velocity, but this commercial product does not allow me to use it to activate a solenoid.

So right now I need assistance to come up with a rough conceptual circuit to tap onto the sensor signal based on this circuit (picture) to activate the solenoid..

The image show is not the exact circuit for the Neulog Photogate, but in general I believe the circuit should resemble.

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
The photogate unit is probably a digital device much like you have drawn. But since it is powered by a USB unit. It is probably driven by around 5 volt and not 6 volt. To do what you want you will need to tap into the signal and supply lines in the photogate itself. Is this something you have been able to do so far?
Yup, the velocity can be detected. But now I am looking into using the sensor to activate a solenoid. So need some guidance on how I can tap the signal from the infrared receiver..

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
Judging by the considerable separation between transmitter and receiver in the photogate sensor shown, the internal electronics may be more complex (e.g. involving a pulse-coded carrier) than in the post #14 schematic. Are you really prepared to break open the (presumably expensive) sensor to find out and reverse-engineer the circuit?
Actually what I need now is to come up with a conceptual circuit, and preferably to be a commercial photogate. Just need to know what electrical components that i might need. So far some have suggested a Dual D flip flop to me.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The components you will need to interface with the sensor are critically dependent on what the actual sensor ciruit is, which is likely to vary from one brand of commercial sensor to another. We don't even know if the sensor output is analogue or digital. A 'conceptual circuit' based on a guess as to what the sensor circuit might be like will, IMHO, be so vague as to be useless. For example, you might need to provide signal gain or level-shifting before application to a D-FF, or a power driver stage for the solenoid, or ......

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Also what do you want to do after the solenoid has been activated. Shall it stay on forever until reset or something else

blitzgunner

Joined May 6, 2014
Very sorry for giving limited information because electrical is not my field of study, but based on this circuit

what will most likely be the components needed to activate the solenoid upon sensing an object through the infrared field? I do not need very detail information like the circuit resistor, voltage or power. As this is just purely a conceptual stuff I need to explain for my assignment.

Btw, the solenoid will be on until turn off manually.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the relay just has to be energised whenever the object is sensed, you have it right there, put the relay in the collector of the NPN TR and use a aux contact to latch the relay in once the object is sensed.
A N.C. P.B. would reset it.
Max.