Sensor/bluetooth suggestions

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mcgyvr, Sep 23, 2014.

1. mcgyvr

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Just looking for suggestions before I start down my "learning/finding" path..
    I'd like to create a device that consists of a single sensor that can easily communicate its readings probably via bluetooth to an app on a smartphone.

I just need to read a single 0-5V signal and send that data to be viewed remotely..

Just looking to narrow down my searches some to a development kit and haven't looked at whats out there now..

Low cost is high priority.. Don't need anything fancy.. just read the single sensor and display the data.. I also don't need to be bluetooth low energy which seems to only limit me to the newest of android devices (4.3 and up)

oh something like this
    http://www.ti.com/tool/cc2541dk-sensor
    or
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/wiced/sense/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    sirch2 likes this.
  2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Have you considered measuring light by measuring The voltage out of a divider that is composed of a CDS cell and a resistor, or temperature measurement by measuring the voltGe out of a divider composed of a thermistor and a fixed resistor?

3. mcgyvr

Oct 15, 2009
    My question/intent was confusing now that I'm re-reading it.
    The sensor is already complete/working.. I was just looking for suggestions of bluetooth development kits (systems on chips) with requirements of low cost and I only need low (single) i/o channels.

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Is the data analog or digital?

Have you heard of the BlueSmirf modem from Sparkfun? BlueSMiRF. Does it meet your needs?

5. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Nice find on the TI CC2541 BTW

6. mcgyvr

Oct 15, 2009
    Analog signal..
    And yes I've seen plenty of the "bluetooth modems" that have been out for a few years but I was looking for something much cheaper and one that incorporated the micro all in one package..
    something like the TI/broadcom links I posted already.. I just haven't used any of those and was hoping someone might have used something like that already.

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Since low cost is a priority, you could use one of the really cheap Bluetooth modules out there and a small microcontroller to read the sensor and transmit over Bluetooth using the UART.

I have successfully used one of these modules on an Android phone to transmit and receive data.

Or are you set on the development kits?

8. mcgyvr

Oct 15, 2009
    Really I'm looking for low cost/small size..
    I don't want to have to pair a micro with a bluetooth module..
    I'd like this entire device to fit in the palm of my hand. (like a USB stick size)
    I just thought by now there would be a larger selection of small micros with built in bluetooth capability..
    This is what I'm looking for (but I'm not really keen on BLE as it seems to be bleeding edge now and only android 4.3 and up support it,etc..)
    http://www.digikey.com/us/en/ph/texas-instruments/cc2540-bluetooth-system-on-chip.html

So just 1 chip (system on chip I guess) that has a single or couple I/O pins and supports bluetooth..

My only intent is to be able to read data from a single sensor and display it in an app.. nothing else.

9. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about those "really cheap Bluetooth modules" tshuck links to. They work of for a while but I have had 3 fail over the last few years. It still (so far) works out cheaper than the "proper" ones such as the BlueSMiRF, depends if you can put up with the failures.

10. mcgyvr

Oct 15, 2009
    Don't worry.. I won't buy cheap Chinese crap for this project.. If I'm putting my name on it and its going into the world its gonna be done properly.. Home use is fine but not for this project.
    Hence why my searches so far have led me to TI/Broadcom..

11. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    You neglected to mention this was a product for others, the modules I linked to are not suited for much more than small applications with a tolerance of failure (as noted).

A microcontroller and a Bluetooth module can easily fit in the palm of one's hand - probably within most USB stick cases as well.

That said, Nordic has some Bluetooth enabled SoCs, as well as TI (as you found already), but most I found are the low energy variant you are attempting to avoid.

Microchip has the RN-4x modules that may be worth looking in to, if you don't find much else.

12. mcgyvr

Oct 15, 2009
    yes just found nordic and a few others.. found some great info on the bluetooth org site.
    and yes this is for a product I intend to design/proto and probably stick up on kickstarter to hopefully retire with .. ha ha.. .. (but its a secret :) )

The only reason I'm trying to stay away from the low energy stuff is because its only supported on the latest and greatest operating systems AFAIK.. And I'm still running a phone with Android 2.2 on it (because it works and does what I need) and I suspect a good chunk of end users aren't as up to date as they would need to be.. I just hate bleeding edge stuff.
    Heck I might just keep the sensor tethered to a small display for the readout and forget the wireless but we shall see..

Thanks guys for the help.. Off to really dig in and kick the tires around.. Already ordered that broadcom dev kit as for $20 you can't go wrong with it..