Sensor-based Automatic Misting System

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by fognight, Mar 29, 2006.

1. fognight

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I'm in the design phase of an automatic misting system. I intend to use this as a humidity source in an iguana cage and would like it to be sensor based and emit a fine spray / mist.

The nozzles I have looked into require higher pressures to operate correctly as such a cheap low pressure but high volume pump is not able to work. I've specked out some low volume but high pressure pumps and they are all more than I would like to spend.

Now I have started to think rather than control a pump on/off I'll control a valve on a pressure-sprayer like you would use around a garden. This valve is my sticking point. I don't see the valve needing to be large or to work under weird conditions -- tap-water, 50 to 100 psi, on for about 5 to 15 seconds at a time. If possible I would like to stay DC.

Does anyone know of a source of small electronically controlled valves? I'm thinking solenoid but don't want to limit it at this point.

= = = =

Overview of the rest of my project:
    humidity and optic sensor controlled -- relative humidity drop below a set point and the lights are on to spray and sensors on a 1 or 2 meter lead
    timed short spray period -- perhaps a slow timer circuit running a GAL counter triggered by the sensors

2. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    Not sure if this will work but have you thought of a fuel injector from a car? Operates from 12V and you should be able to pick a few up from the local wrecker pretty cheap.

As you only need a short spray you can have a 2 stage timer. When the sensors detect that a spray is required a pump can be started to build up pressure and then the valve can be opened once a set pressure is reached or "x" seconds after the pump has started.
  3. fognight

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I had not thought of that but it gives me an idea; use a windshield washer pump.

Thing is I need it clean, nearly drinkable, but that can be done. Simply run it for a while with clean water.

I had been thinking about gerry rigging a lawn sprinkler system valve. Mechanically I could get it to work but would require making a new power supply, get this 24 V at 60 Hz. Do-able but just weird.