Sensitive microphone

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by brendonshaw1703, Jun 7, 2014.

1. brendonshaw1703

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 7, 2014
    I am working on a mini project for a school who want to detect sound levels in the classroom and been going around in circles for a few weeks. There want to measure sound levels but ranging from very low sound i.e. chair moving, door opening to levels of talking within the classroom.

I appreciate to get an accuracy levels a number of microphones locate in different parts of the classroom would need to be provide. But, just to be able to monitor sounds levels I would like to build a simple sound meter.

I have used many of the Arduino type microphones and built pre-amps using lm358, 386 and BC548 circuits but none of them provide the response I am looking for. Many of the circuits seem to be very noisy and not seeing the response which I am looking for.

Audio analogue electronics is not area of expertise and looking for some ideas on suitable circuit and design.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Measuring relative levels of sounds would be much easier (and cheaper) than measuring absolute levels. Which type of measurement do you have in mind?

4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    When I was into studio recording I used a surface pressure microphone. You mount it on any large flat wall and it detects the sound pressure when sounds hit the wall.

It's ideal for detecting all the sounds in a room, as an alternative to having lots of microphones.

[​IMG]
    http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/pzm.html
    :)