retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I think "Leave well-enough alone" fits fine here.

Well Chris, you are my friend, but Sam is my best friend. And well, Mike is my second best friend. But you are my friend!

FORGET THAT CARP! (Yes carp)

What does more titles achieve? Only separation.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would like to have a "smite" button.

If a member or thread were getting out of hand and no Moderators were logged in, a "smite" button would come in handy for very senior members who felt that the course of the thread or an individuals' actions would make the board a worse place, they could "smite" a thread or user, which would relegate the thread or user to a moderated area for review that was invisible to the general population.

The senior member would need to supply valid arguments why the thread or user should be muted/hidden.

But that's just a pipe dream. I'm not displeased with the way things are now, or I would've left years ago.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
"Thy words caused me to wax wroth; thus do I mark thy prose as bereft of worth".

If we go that route, we might as well get Edwardian about it. All you need is a copy of "Ivanhoe" or any of E. R. Eddison's works ("Mistress of Mistresses" is really great) to use as a pattern for the wording.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
like...I smite thee
I smut thee, wait, that didn't come out right.

So far our mix is about right. I miss the two missing moderators, but thing have stayed loose.

It would be nice to have areas were we could talk about more dangerous aspects of electronics without worrying about the kid at the end of the block killing self or neighbors, but you can't have everything. I would enjoy discussing things like Tesla Coils or Rail Guns, though I am personally not interested in building either.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Rather than pure post count, I'd suggest a mod/admin "promotion" based on Activity and input of the outstanding members here, SgtWookie being the most deserving example, even if he had half the posts he currently does.

Otherwise, people keep posting random things that don't really add to the quality of the forum, just to get a better title.

One option would be to make any posts in "Off Topic" not count towards post count. I do that with a couple spam forums on sites I run.

Another option would be to give titles to those who, in general, hang out only to help others, rather than ask questions. Longevity + Activity + Answered Questions or "Thanks" would fit in well for a "Guru" title.

KL7 - "Tube Guru"
SgtWookie - "Guru Extraordinaire"
Bill - "555 Guru"
etc....

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I like the idea of not counting off topic posts.
And the idea to have title based on those members who indeed are here to help and to encourage.

Bill
You understand why we like to have a VIP area about those kinda issues.
Those topics are of concern to me and I too want to understand them to be on the safe side rather then built a destructive thing. Doing them for educational purpose is a must to gain knowledge to individuals like us but since those kinda a threads will be locked without delay, there is no way to go about it n00bs knowing that.
We like to have a discussion forum amongst experienced members, those who have knowledge on being safe and understanding when it comes to dangerous circuits.

Besides there we can post away, without too much of a concern.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You guys like to talk as much as any one, just because the world don't
respond to all your highly technical stuff,there Is a good balance on this
forum that the adm's research suggest.The forum works good,why do you
want to mess with a good thing.Even Sarge came down to enjoy his birthday.
The beauiful south Pacific Island has commanded attention. A lot of voices
have been heard. A voice that don't understand all your technical stuff
from middle management could eliminate your position.You would want a
forum to complain about It. You notice the Moderators are Involved as
good listenters without taking sides. You must keep It where all members enjoy
logging on to express themselfies or just watch what going on,that why
they have the number of views. This forum Is a sucess, your opinions
are Important,but not at the expense of others.

Last edited:

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
I was just a Sgt who served from the end of the Vietnam War until 1980. Never even left the States except for a brief ride up and down the Atlantic coast on the USS Forrestal. National Defense ribbon and Good Conduct, 2nd award - and 5x Rifle Expert. That's it.
Whattcha mean "Just a Sgt" ? From my experience (I'm an ex-serviceman from across the pond) it is the Sgt's (and other NCO's) that actually "run" the armed forces.

How about "Guru" for the Sarges' title - it certainly fits (imho) :)

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
On the MyPic32 site/forum they use Star Wars Rankings for posters, starts off as a Youngling, Padawan, etc. I am now a Jedi Master :)

B. Morse

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You have discussion amongs members every day,a world wide opinion Is
that a member is a member.So show every one with respect,there Is a
term or usage of words-(We agree to disagree) Some of you guys are
like stuting peacocks( I want to be the next Moderator) the next
Moderator,If when will be a quiet notice.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As you might have noticed the posts in the "off-topic" do not add on the postcount anymore.
The area is for "non electronic" subjects, so it does not need to be counted.

Bertus