Sending data from Arduino-SM5100B (cellular) to a computer

Mach3Maelstrom

Joined Jun 19, 2012
I'm looking to take hourly temperature sensor readings from an Arduino Uno R3 and send them via GSM cellular with an SM5100B to my Windows 7 computer.

(FYI: The ultimate goal would be for the computer to then take this data and add it to a new line in a spreadsheet, but first things first.)

MY QUESTION: Can you offer either:
  • some resources on projects that have accomplished this OR
  • suggest a way for a computer to parse SMS data

I haven't used cellular with Arduino before, but have been learning through TronixStuff and this remote temperature monitoring project.

The second one is nearly perfect to what I'm trying to accomplish, but it sends SMS to his phone instead of a computer.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Mach3Maelstrom

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Excellent, thanks wayneh! This LabJack U3 is an even better solution than I was considering!

I was only sticking with Arduino since I know I could pretty much adjust for any microcontroller depending on the advice I received here.

I have plenty of questions, but I'll read the documentation & research some projects first before I post them here. Thanks again!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have some experience using the LabJack U3HV, in particular using Visual Basic in Excel to get data from the LabJack directly into a spreadsheet and then onto a live plot. So don't hesitate to ask once you've come up with some questions. I use mine directly connected to my USB port, so I haven't mastered the network access stuff.

I access my LabJack using the FUSE method. There are other options but I found this the easiest, since it allow you to interface via ANY tool that can read and write files. I didn't have to learn some new programming language or putz around writing and compiling my own application.