Sending alternating logics to multiple pins

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Stackington21, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Stackington21

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hi all
    Still very basic when it comes to coding so i am a bit confused as to how reading/writing logics to ports comes about. What I am after is a sub routine that integer A will select which of the 6 pins will receive integer B to turn them on or off. I want it so any combination of leds can be on or off (so a range from 0 to 63).

One of my first sub routines involves setting up all of the ports to be either inputs/outputs (port F is all outputs at this stage). If i want to turn on a combination of leds, would i have another initialise of my port in this subroutine to change the leds I don't want on as an input? That way when i send integer B to be a 1 value, the inputs obviously won't send that logic to the leds?

I hope this makes sense, still trying to grasp all of this, but having a blast doing so.

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hello Stackington, welcome to the forums.

We do have a forum just for micro stuff, this may get a better look if you post there, but let's try here. You might ask the mods to move it by hitting the report button.

Usually a pin is used as either an input or an output, so that gets set once as the device starts up and never gets touched again. To turn the 6 LEDs on or off you just set the port pins hi or low. So to set the low 3 on and top 3 off you send a binary 000111, and to do the reverse you set it to 111000.

I've assumed you have the LEDs at the lowest port pins, and I don't have a clue if you input anything. Do you have a sketch of your setup?

Also, what device are you sing, and what programming language (C, assembler, etc) are you using?