Send a quick 12v pulse to a relay that I want to keep on so the light will stay on.

A20

Joined May 11, 2016
hi everyone. Let me start off by saying what I'm trying to do.

I am trying to turn a light on. When I tap my high beams on my car. That will send a quick 12v pulse to a relay that I want to keep on so the light will stay on. The only way to turn it off should be the turn off the car. Now I had someone draw me a circuit it seems like it will work but I have two questions. Can I have a common ground? Like in the picture in red. And he put in a second diode. I really don't understand the purpose of it being there. I get the first diode so 12v doesn't flow the wrong way. It should work fine without the second diode and have nothing there at all?

Hopefully I have explained what I am trying to do.
Thanks

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
1. There is only one power supply, so the ground of two sides are the common ground.

2. The second diode is protecting the lamp, it should be there, the purpose is to discharge for the relay when it is off (the coil no current flows through from positive to the negative), when the coil lost the power then it will reverse the voltage and the voltage could be several times of 12V.

3. Why you want that function?

A20

Joined May 11, 2016
Thanks for the answers. I want the function because I rather modify the headlight wires than touch the whole wiring harness in the car. It's only to turn on an amber bulb so people can be careful.

I'm no expert by any means I do appreciate the info about the second diode. Although I'm still lost about it haha.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Next time, If you have some other questions, when you create a new thread, please make sure the title should be match the question, thank you.

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Your circuit should work , 85 is relay coil ground, 86 activates the relay. 30 is ign switched power and 87 is output to your light.

Once you initially trigger your relay with the light switch the contacts 30 and 87 will join and terminal 87 will be +12V.
This will feed terminal 86 and your relay will stay closed until 12V+ is removed from terminal 30.
To avoid overheating your relay I would suggest putting a resistor of between terminal 87 and 86 so that the voltage at terminal 86 sits at about 7-8V. This will be sufficient to hold the relay closed. The power required to pull in a relay is considerably more than what s required to hold it closed.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
i would use a SCR, and if the load is hefty then a nFet to handle the load.

but automotive usually does sink (low side) switching. if the hi beam is sink switching then you can use a pFet or pnp bjt in front of a std SCR, etc.

A20

Joined May 11, 2016
Would you be kind enough to draw me a circuit with the scr? That would replace the relay right?

I built the relay one it's working fine. But if there is a smarter/smaller way to do the same thing I would love to learn about it.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
sure, 3 small components needed.
PS1 is car batt
S2 is whatever is the pulse from turning on high beam
S1 is whatever relay the ignition provides for the voltage, which opens when ignition goes off
R1 is your light bulb load
R2 and R3 , something like 1k each (i like to use pull down R3 but technically not needed
D1 is SCR sized for the load, a heatsink may be needed depending on item chosen

so basically its a solid state latching relay that can be done with just two discrete components. no relay coil flyback and nothing mechanical to worry about. i have assumed here from your previous posts that you somehow provide a positive pulse to turn the thing on. if R1 load is big (more than a few amps, then you'll need a FET or BJT to handle the load.