Selling Your Finished Product?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Well I was thinking of maybe getting a profit off my own electronics I create. I know the process of creating electronic and selling it sorta...

I was wondering if someone knew the steps of selling your own product after you create a final version. I know your project has to pass UL to be taken seriously.

I was wondering if there was a article or someone explaining a bit more on this, because I plan on maybe making commercial or home fire safety control panels out of scratch and audio signal devices and I know ebay maybe promising, but I know with out the proper and right steps on creating something sell able it's going to become an auto fail if anything happens to the CP with out proper testing if the thing catches on fire.

Anyways if someone can expand on this more with me and maybe how I could market this to the correct consumer that would be great! :)

P.S also some resources on making models for your circuitry would be great since I don't think a ugly project box is going to be that appealing if all it does is make noise and lights up.

Thanks, Ajm.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
heads up;

you, as the manufacturer, need to know which regulatory specifications need to be satisfied. When you apply to UL to have those specific requirements tested and authenticated, you pay the bill. Know that fire and security products have more stringent requirements (bigger expense).

Ebay is one big garage sale. Good luck on recovering your expenses.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Depending on you product's power requirements, "you" may be able to sidestep the UL electrical safety process entirely by using an external, "UL approved" wall plug power supply....wall wart. Many, many manufacturers, including medical equipment companies do exactly that. If your product does not require line voltages internally, just supply it low voltage power from an approved wall wart.

Not sure you should get into "life safety" systems like fire alarms (see NFPA requirements), without a lot more knowledge...and a whole lot of insurance. :(

Ken

Last edited:

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The regulatory/liability aspect of things is only part of your worries. Designing and building things are easy tasks for technical folks -- the marketing and sales end of things (and making a profit) are much harder -- and much more work and probably less enjoyment than the technical side.

If you're serious about it, spend some effort learning what it takes to run your own business. In the US, a common tool for that is to tap into the resources of the SBA. I've heard some folks get down on the SBA, but it's probably the luck of the draw. I had a good experience with them when I started a business in the 90's. There are also other resources, some you may have to pay for. I got to take a NxLevel class on starting your own business for free and it was quite good -- and much more in-depth than the SBA stuff. Talk to your local library and university to see what's available.

Oh, and one very important thing to be aware of: everyone wants a cut of your business, especially the local (city and county), state, and federal governments. Make sure you learn all the rules, taxes, etc. that you'll need to pay attention to (and there are lots of them). Ignorance of the law is no defense.