Selling your electronic parts

Primary

Joined Jul 8, 2008
I have an electronics manufacturing company and often have to sell off electronic parts I no longer use to avoid having to pay inventory taxes at the end of the year on unused parts but i do not want to 'sell them for a song' and loose a lot of money by selling them to brokers and surplus dealers. I found one electronic parts site "e-surplusinventory.com" where I have listed and sold some parts. I also bought some parts I was looking for there. Does anyone here know of any other websites to do this on? I tried eBay but end up loosing too much hard-earned money there due to low-bids or no-bids if I set the starting bid too high. Thanks, Ed.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
Slight thread drift!
You mean you pay taxes on your building/property (even if through rent), taxes when you buy the parts, taxes when you sell the parts, and taxes for holding on to the parts???

And people wonder why manufacturing has gone overseas??

--Rich

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I never really got into Ebay, not much of a gambling man, or into fighting to make things right. One of the things that I found a real turn off, was the shipping. For what I was seeing charged, you could pretty much get the same deal at a store...

Money doesn't have to be green. Some business, well a lot, hide profits in inventory, that's why they get taxed. Personally, I think we should have a flat tax rate. and lose the all the complicated code, loopholes and traps. Get rid of all the breaks and incentives, and about two-thirds of the politicians.

Primary

Joined Jul 8, 2008
Many times you must use some of your profits to purchase extra inventory. If you don't - the inventory you need will go obsolete and you will loose a lot of profit on your redesign. It is much less expensive to purchase inventory than to redesign, requalify, retest plus all the extra documentation changes that go with it. Plus, an ECO cost averages between 1000 and a 3000 for my company - just to run it through the mill on top of the re-engineering costs. You can buy a lot of extra parts for that kind of money. Besides, you will have to buy them anyway for the new parts that support the new design. And implement them into MRP software and stocking and maybe change the assembly line a bit. So, yes, you have to hide profits in inventory or you will be hiding the profits in several extra support personnel salaries and the taxes (medicare, social security, Texas Workforce Commission fees and so on) I also pay on their salaries. So sometimes you end up with a lot of inventory on your shelves - no longer needed - and it has to be sold off to make room for inventory currently demanded by WIP. I have been successfully using e-surplusinventory.com to sell some of it and if I can list it on other sites that work similar to that site where I can keep my inventory while I wait for a reasonable price and not have to sell it cheap to a broker then I get more exposure on my surplus stock and a better price for it. Ebay gives you about 10 days max to list your stuff and you get whatever the highest bid is. e-surplusinventory lets you list it free until it is sold at a price I am confortable with. They get their 5% commission and I get 95% which is a lot better than ebay on any day. But I figure that if there are more sites to sell it like they do then my exposure is higher and I can move it out sooner and use the money for other services and supplies. I am not expecting to see a flat tax rate or simple tax code anytime soon because it is a money machine for Uncle Sam and he is not likely to ever close that down.