Selfish behavior

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There are several threads in the Homework Help forum where the OP has deleted the original question/schematic after getting an answer. The net result of that is that the threads are now worthless for anyone who would happen to review them.

I suggest adding something to the rules Sticky prohibiting such selfish behavior.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
There are several threads in the Homework Help forum where the OP has deleted the original question/schematic after getting an answer. The net result of that is that the threads are now worthless for anyone who would happen to review them.

I suggest adding something to the rules Sticky prohibiting such selfish behavior.

John
I agree John.

The way to mitigate this is to place a time limit on how long users have to edit any part of their post. I did trial this a while back but it didn't go down too well, and the freedom to edit is something several regulars are pleased to have.

While we can tell people, if they can remove they possibly will.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
As a curiosity, I have seen the threads you are referring to, did they have schematics/diagrams in the OP?

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, the originals of the three that prompted this note did have schematics. Note the time and date of edit for each.

It seems the question of putting a time limit on edits comes up on all forums. In some cases, a banned or abused member deletes posts in retaliation. I don't think that is the case here at all.

I am willing to attribute the present cases to simple ignorance of accepted behavior, which is why I suggested a reminder in the Rules. On the other hand, limiting time for edits can be counterproductive. In a recent case, I had to go back and add something to one of my Projects to correct an error that had crept into the PCB. I was glad to be able to do that.

On the whole:
1) I favor hosting all images and other attachments locally, so AAC retains control and can prevent wholesale deletions, as might occur in the case of a disgruntled member. That may not always be practical, and the exceptions have not been a problem here so far.
2) I do not favor putting a cut-off for edits. The problems created by the abuses to date do not justify the downside (IMHO). If there were a way to limit edits to additions after a certain period, that balance might change.

John

blueroomelectronics

Joined Jul 22, 2007
If I remember I'll quote the OP verbatim if they have a flaky track record. They tried timed edit over at electro-tech but some members boo-hooed it so it was removed. I think 24 hrs is reasonable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually I love this feature, and would hate to see it go. If it is possible could we link it to senior members? The idea is folks that have hung around that long are probably not the hit and run types.

Something else, the articles I've been writing in the forums would be a thing of the past, since most of these are works in progress long term.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Actually I love this feature, and would hate to see it go. If it is possible could we link it to senior members? The idea is folks that have hung around that long are probably not the hit and run types.

Something else, the articles I've been writing in the forums would be a thing of the past, since most of these are works in progress long term.
I agree, I think that just having it for senior members would work well. All of us have been around long enough, and I'm sure that none of us would delete images from their original posts.

As for other members, if they wanted to update a picture, they could just post another message in their forum.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
I have no problem with postings being locked after a certain period -- 1 to 2 days. (Of course, I do not do [m]any postings with graphics!)
Nor do I see a problem with the title being editable so you would see:
My Problem / Corr. Msg. #24
or something like that.

--Rich

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
One way to combat this is for the first regular member who responds to quote the original question in full, and to repost any given schematics with some useful additional information in it. In this way, the critical information is retained even if the OP deletes the important information. This would not be needed for known members, only those first posters that are likely to partake in this annoying behavior.

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, and many of these cases may be due to ignorance. However, I suspect some of these cases are due to a desire of the OP to not let a classmate get the same useful information that he obtained here. I've noticed that search engines easily pick up AAC threads that are relevant to a topic. By deleting the original question, it is much less likely for a classmate (competitor) to end up here.

On the other hand, perhaps we can understand the behavior if we consider that another student, who puts no effort in at all, can get a free answer, which is something that is discouraged here. Still, we should choose the lesser of the evils, which is to not vandalize the useful information generated here.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
I agree John.

The way to mitigate this is to place a time limit on how long users have to edit any part of their post. I did trial this a while back but it didn't go down too well, and the freedom to edit is something several regulars are pleased to have.

While we can tell people, if they can remove they possibly will.

Dave
Over at a board I moderate (where we discuss space travel, astronomy, mathematics, ham radio, food, books, art, nudism, politics, tv shows, culture and anything else) we had problems with people editing posts and therefore making other's responses sound stupid!

We passed a rule: you have five minutes to edit a post after posting. Everyone hated it, but got over it. (And mods are around to edit stuff for posters when it's really needed, anyway).

Makes a LITTLE work for the mods, but it works well. No one really WANTED it this way, but our admins put their foot down! After about 3 months, things settled down - we'd never go back now!!! (Speaking as one of the mods who has to spend time each day fixing stuff for people!)

Just put yer foot down!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Oh, I'd get over it, just couldn't do a forum articles anymore. Don't pretend it is no big deal, for some of us it is.

This site is unique among many. Really unique. I'd hate to see that change because of a few people, which is what we're talking here.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
You should just ban editing the open post of the thread, since it's the reason for being. It usually takes several other posts, before the originator actually gets around to providing details. Since this is a teaching site, this deleting posts really mucks up the works for those who search first, before posting similar questions, that might have already been answered. It turns a useful and product thread, into garbage. Can't imagine the mindset of somebody who would do such a thing anyway. The forum works, because people share their knowledge and experiences openly.