Self guiding bullet hits target a mile away!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, Jan 31, 2012.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
  2. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    the fantasy lives on.

3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    What about the "magic bullet". Do we have to stop using the phrase now?

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Ever see the movie "Runaway"? I would say over half the innovations have been invented now.

5. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    They always forget that new technologies can turn against them. If everybody can have those it will also be easier to kill someone "important", like a president for example... without getting caught. Today it's a mile, maybe tomorrow it'll be more.

The electronics will probably have semiconductor serial numbers, soon another item will have to be added to AACs ToS, no "self-guided bullet modifications" :D.

They are also working on bumblebee-sized MAVs.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    A sniper with good dope (wind, humidity, altitude, etc) is more accurate than those bullets right now.

9" accuracy at 1500 yds is all the guided bullets will do, sometimes worse.

Plus, you can train a sniper to re-use for the cost of the system for firing single-use guided projectiles.

The picture makes it look like it would be nifty to go around a corner, though. They use a white LED in the tail of the projectile for the trace, course is only updated 30 times per second. Needs to be at least double that.

cool info here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    They had one of these on a recent episode of Miami CSI. Of course the kicked it up a notch. The target did not a laser beam. It had what looked like a miniature video camera that you used to guide the bullet from the weapon.

I would imagine this bullet detects some sort of encrypted signature in the laser beam? Otherwise you could turn the tables on someone real quick. :)

8. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    That's imperative! ;)

I also wonder if they are EMP resistant.

9. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Yes, they are not fire and forget like other new munitions. They are sub-caliber sabot round to reduce a bit of the shock at firing, and to deploy the fins for guidance.

I can see where a 105mm tank could use this to excellent advantage when they need to drop a round inside a window from a mile, but not suitable for a man portable weapon, too much gear and things to break. Grunts can break anything, even tire irons.

10. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I could see it improved for drones to have almost sniper capabilities. Right now they just carry big missles. Would be nice to just kill 1 person in a group rather then have to blow the whole group up.

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I agree. From what I know of it, it can be integrated, if nothing else, it can put/hold the laser spot down while something carrying a heavier weapon can fire and move away.

12. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Also the real man vs guided bullet may make a huge difference in different environmental conditions. A sniper can hit someone just over a mile but how accurate is it in 40mph wind and 70mph gusts? Having a uC in the bullet allows it to make changes in flight a real soldier and gun can't make.

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Plus firing from a drone in the sky would give it 10 to 20 times the range because it would have its natural velocity of falling. Like when the rednecks fire their guns up in the air and it actually makes a big arc and hits some full speed coming down.

14. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I enjoy shooting waterfowl on the wing. Does that make me a redneck?

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I don't see why a warning like we get for hurricanes,that a village is going to

be hit by gunfire and women and children go to a shelter. If we receive an

attack take the village out, after first telling all the men to come out unrobed

unstill they were cleared. Use a small unmaned drone to anounce the message.

That sounds too easy,but if a cardboard box is found in the middle of the street

here every one is forced out of there home for 6 hours. They could start with

tear gas and go forward, save lives and arms and legs. Parachute robot drones

to help clear an area,if any one go near the drone after warning,take them out.

P.S. Why don't we hear any thing about Canada in our news,tell me something

that has made big news from Canada.

16. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Your Canadian your automatically disqualified. No one with Universal Healthcare can be a redneck.

17. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Max,you been the place to go for Information,what gives with all the answers.

18. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    well, they are looking for a new route for the pipeline, students want tuition lowered, pot legalized, and RCMP accountable for their actions. Oh, and some more inquiries...

19. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    lol I'm hardly a place for answes. Mainly just questioning about guns, I have some experience with em but not a ton.

20. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    Biggest Canadian event for me anyway, is that our national broadcaster is running a series on the relationships between Aboriginal and non Aboriginal inhabitants. A reaching out to reconsile a 500 year relationship that has gone seriously wrong. If the deep rooted ignorances in our society can be at least acknowledged, we'll have done something that few nations have.