Selecting best Heat Sink for TEG (Thermoelectric generator)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by milanyour12, Mar 17, 2014.

1. milanyour12

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to solve a puzzle about selecting the right heat sink for my TEG, but I am really confused and lost with lots of equations :confused:. Here is the Specification of my TEG (TG12-2.5-01L)

Module Width (mm) = 29.972
    Module Length (mm) = 34.036
    Module Height (mm) = 3.937
    Max Temperature (Tmax) = 250 degree C
    Th = 230 degree C
    Tc = 50 degree C
    Efficiency = 5.02
    Power (W) = 2.71
    Open circuit voltage (Voc) = 9.56
    Thermal resistance (degree C/W) = 3.33

What I want to do is maintain a temperature difference of max 50 degree C. So in order to do this I need to have a good heat Sink which will radiate the heat in the air faster. So how can I calculate which heat sink do i actually need? what do i need in order to calculate this? Which heat sink is the best and how do i now if it is good or bad?

Any information related to this will be really help full :)

2. richard.cs

Mar 3, 2012
    You need to know how much heat needs to be pumped to maintain your 50C temperature difference and how much you you can allow the heatsink to rise above ambient (which may require you to revise your 50C difference).

Can you give us any more details about your application?

3. milanyour12

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    I want to place the TEG in high temperature like around 100 - 120 degree C and i want to maintain the delta T around 50 degree C. My ambient air temperature i think would be like 30 degree C. So how do i design my Heat sink or select a heat sink to maintain this delta T.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008