Selecting a proper picroprocessor

Sangam Singh

Joined Jun 23, 2015
I am working on a project wherein I have to take data from multiple sensors and transmit it over the internet to a server for storage and further use. I am personally inclined to use PIC microporcessors. So which microprocessors would be perfect for this type of communication. And how should I go about it.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
You're making the complicated part sound very easy! That question of "send data over the Internet" is likely to end up driving everything else in the project. How exactly do you plan to make the connection? You haven't said (nobody ever gives away the important information about their project willingly) how often you need to send the data, and how much of it there is, and what kind of environment this system has to operate in.

Sangam Singh

Joined Jun 23, 2015
You're making the complicated part sound very easy! That question of "send data over the Internet" is likely to end up driving everything else in the project. How exactly do you plan to make the connection? You haven't said (nobody ever gives away the important information about their project willingly) how often you need to send the data, and how much of it there is, and what kind of environment this system has to operate in.

The data needs to be logged from the tempertature and pressure sensor and sent every 20 secs. The size will be not more than a few bytes. Considering the additional information that i may want to send, then max size of the date will be 500 bytes or even less.

NorthGuy

Joined Jun 28, 2014
Get a PIC which can do Ethernet. Everything else will not be a problem.

You can also go with a small PIC and an external Ethernet (or Wi-Fi) controller.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
There are a lot of ways to do this if your on a wired lan a pic with ethernet makes sense. But if you want wifi a ESP8266 makes better sense.
It's easy to use has wifi and gpio's that can read your sensors. And it's cheap.