Select correct rectifier

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I see a ground sumbol in the schematic, if you have connected this point to ground remove it because you dont know whats inside the machine.

Also, because this output was suppossed to power a fluorescent lamp, initially creates a high voltage to start the lamp ans then it reduces the voltage.

Try it again with a 50K resistor.

EEDude

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Allright I will experiment with using those resistor values and see if I can get it to work. I am wondering if I measure the signals with the scope correctly?? To measuere I just placed the scope probe tip to the signal wire and that is it. Is this correct or did I do that incorrectly?? Thanks

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
You have to connect the ground of the oscilloscope to the ground of the circuit you measure the voltage.
Can your oscilloscope measure voltages more than 50V without break down?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Be very careful - if the transformer is not referenced properly, it can simply eat the vertical amp in that o'scope. Check the spec's on the instrument, too. Very few o'scopes are rated for more than a few hundred volts at the input. You should use a high voltage probe.

EEDude

Joined Nov 18, 2008
I tried using some of the larger resistor values but still didn't have any luck. The scope has an input rating of 400V

EEDude

Joined Nov 18, 2008
Do all fluorescent lamps use a ballast?? I do not see a ballast in the lamp housing but the housing is pretty small. I am wondering if I open up the inside of this machine if there is a ballast inside. If there is I could take the signal before the ballast and then it might be more useable. What do you guys think?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
If there is not a ballast in the fluorescent lamp housing then it is in the machine. Open it up to see whats going on and where is this signal coming from.