seeking help making electromagnetic listening device

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lotty, Mar 17, 2015.

1. lotty

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Hi there,
    I am trying to make an electromagnetic listening device. So far i have been trying stripped mic cords into an amplifier... Looking for tech suggestions. This probably seems really basic but I am just starting out.
    Thank you for considering my post
    all the best
    lotty

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    are you trying to make a microphone, or pickup coil?

lotty likes this.
  3. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    From " partyline4 " wind 100 turns of fine wire around a nail , or powdered iron rod & connect to audio amp.

lotty likes this.
  4. lotty

Mar 17, 2015
    thanks for reply, have tried a pick up coil as copper around an iron lug...kind of worked.. But yes mostly trying to make pick ups. All suggestions welcome. :)

5. lotty

Mar 17, 2015
    thanks Bernard, tried this tonight with the nail but will keep experimenting with it as didn't get so much with the nail. Better with the iron lug. The nail was steel and wire was copper... What do you think about making this into an aerial?

6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    an aerial would be picking up rf, and an audio amp would not get that. if its radio you want to listen to, you need a detector, like a crystal radio, see "Davesmakeradio.com" for info. if its "bugs " you want to listen for, see http://www.techlib.com/ there are several designs there.

lotty likes this.
  7. lotty

Mar 17, 2015
    its bugs...thank you, excellent website