Seeing XML offline

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
XML is just ordinary text, so you should be able to view it using View Source under the Page menu (IE 7.0). I'm guessing that's what you mean when you say you want to view it offline.
Mark

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't use IE7.0, and won't unless I absolutely have too. The markup codes are coming through on IE6, this isn't HTML.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Have you tried Firefox? Like you, I won't mess with IE7, but I chose to try the Mozilla app. So far, it's pretty bulletproof (not to mention free).

My understanding is that the .docx format that Vista Word uses is XML if you want to go all the way to the dark side.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
I don't use IE7.0, and won't unless I absolutely have too. The markup codes are coming through on IE6, this isn't HTML.
IE6 also has a View Source capability. Right-click the page in question, and select View Source. That opens a Notepad window, and from there you can save the file.

The MS download that Dave pointed you to can be used to validate XML or XML transforms, which I don't think you need to do. If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, you just want to view the underlying XML before IE6 gets a chance to render it in the browser. If that's not what you're trying to do, please straighten me out.
Mark

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The MS download that Dave pointed you to can be used to validate XML or XML transforms, which I don't think you need to do.
You could very well be right Mark, I went off the descriptor:

Currently, when browsing XML files using Microsoft® Internet Explorer, the XML documents are not validated. In addition, when viewing the source of the document, only the XML is returned and there is no way to view the output from the XSL or XSLT style sheet that may have been used to transform that XML document.
XSL and XML are interrelated, but I cannot say for sure whether this is going to sort Bill's problem.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Here is what I'm getting...

I would like to see it with the markups implimented, if that is possible. If not, oh well.

Do the other browsers show it in proper format?

Sorry about the late reply. I started doing a 40 gig backup and it locked my computer down from accessing certain files, which prevented me from coming back to this sooner. It took 28 hours for one way, I'm now moving it back into my XP hard drive.

Last edited:

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Bill,
What do you mean when you say you would like to see this with the markups implemented? What the browser is showing is the XML for a couple of emails, one to Dave, and the other to Sgt Wookie.

It hasn't been clear to me from the get-go what you're asking here--"display XML offline" and "with markups implimented". Neither of these means anything to me, and I'm pretty familiar with XML. I think you might be confusing HTML and XML. A browser will render HTML so that the rendered text looks different. XML is used more for ensuring that data being used meets certain criteria spelled out in XML schema definitions (XSDs).

None of the XML tags you show will have any effect whatsoever on how the text will be displayed.
Mark

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The format commands are what I'm talking about. I suspect when we look at this forum we are seeing what XML looks like when it is implimented. I would like to be able to look at saved XML pages the same way off line.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
The forum pages use XHTML 1.0 Transitional, which is almost identical to HTML 4.01. If I put the cursor somewhere on this page, and select View Source in the right-click menu, here is exactly what I see:
Rich (BB code):
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en">
<head>
	<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.7.0" />

<meta name="keywords" content=" Seeing XML offline, forum,circuits,electric,electrical,electronics,projects,engineering,math,physics,robotics" />
<meta name="description" content=" Seeing XML offline Off-Topic" />

<!-- CSS Stylesheet -->
<style type="text/css" id="vbulletin_css">
/**
* vBulletin 3.7.0 CSS
* Style: 'Default Style'; Style ID: 1
*/
@import url("clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-83a138d0-00001.css");
</style>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_important.css?v=370" />

<!-- / CSS Stylesheet -->

<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/yui/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js?v=370"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/yui/connection/connection-min.js?v=370"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var SESSIONURL = "";
var SECURITYTOKEN = "1ce3e0d52b251c76c09b2f4244d0b8c325f7a2a7";
var IMGDIR_MISC = "images/misc";
var vb_disable_ajax = parseInt("0", 10);
// -->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_global.js?v=370"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js?v=370"></script>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="All About Circuits RSS Feed" href="external.php?type=RSS2" />
	<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="All About Circuits Blog RSS Feed" href="http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog_external.php" />

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="All About Circuits - Off-Topic - RSS Feed" href="external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=10" />

additional text omitted...
Here's some info from wikipedia on XHTML (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML) that probably relates to what you're trying to do.
"Browser support for XHTML 1.0 remains incomplete even though it has been many years since the Recommendation status of XHTML 1.0. For example, Internet Explorer by Microsoft (MSIE) has had XML parsing capabilities since version 5.0 in 1999, but even in mid-2007, the current version (IE7) still does not support XHTML documents served as XML, nor does IE 8 beta 1; it only renders them correctly when they are served as HTML and are authored in accordance with the HTML compatibility guidelines. MSIE developer Chris Wilson explained in 2005 that IE7's priorities were improved security and CSS support, and that proper XHTML support would be difficult to graft onto IE's compatibility-oriented HTML parser.[6]"

"Most other browsers now have mature support for all of the possible XHTML MIME types [7]. Early implementations (such as Mozilla 0.7 and Opera 6.0, both released in 2001) do not incrementally render XHTML [8] as it is received over the network, giving a degraded user experience. Later browsers such as Opera 9.0, Safari 3.0 and Firefox 3.0 (presently still in beta) have gained incremental rendering to resolve the issue."
Mark

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I'm using FireFox 2 for this post. My understanding is probably so flawed that I will never get to where I want to be from here, I don't know.

The options offered in downloading private messages are XML CSV, and Text. Text is obvious, and is looking better all the time. CSV opens with Excel, which was unexpected and ugly.

I had thought XML was a variation of HTML, which a browser should display just fine. Not so, but I'll probably save my emails in both Text and XML for future references. The reason I wanted to do this is to be able to pull old messages off my HD and quote them. I may still be able to do this, I'll just have to see.

Just by way of explanation why I stretched this thread out so long, I use removable hard drives in my computer. That way if I'm doing something risky with my computer I can keep my OS and data intact, and can experiment with other OS's. Currently I have a 98SE video disk that is tweaked for good video capture, my old 98SE 120Gig HD, my even older 80 Gig 98SE HD (ran out of room), and my 500Gigi XP drive. I don't use dual boot because I use my machine, I can't afford to mess it up playing with it, so the removable hard drives are my solution to playing. I discovered I had left some files behind between my 98SE and XP, so I was doing a backup of My Documents. Moving the folder each way took over 24 hours, 40 Gig of data over a 10MB ethernet connection, and there is a lot I can't try while in the middle of something like this. My BBS computer is a combination file server, BBS, and printer server. Not bad for an old 200Mhz K6 machine

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
One possibly handy gadget I just got might be of interest. Mine is called a Crossbox. It uses the USB ports to let you send files between computers. I use one with W98 for my CAD, and my other is XP. I hate to use a flash drive on the W98 computer, as there is no provision to close the drive before removing it, and I have had one flash drive die with important data on it. With the new device, I can bounce files between computers at USB2 speeds.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
USB2.0 doesn't work too well with 98SE, last I checked. I just bought an external 2.0 card for my computer to up its max USB speed, along with a second printer port to play with parallel controllers.

The house net is pretty fast, until you start doing something huge. My network evolved, it actively uses 50 ohm coax, 10 Base T, and Wireless, with a mix of 100MB and 10MB on the 10 Base T, all of it ethernet. I really need to go through it and upgrade everything to 100MB, right after I get FIOS. But then, I had a network long before it was fashionable, for the BBS and multiple nodes, when 286 computers were king. High speed internet was a late addition, but it meshed in smoothly.

The first professional network me and my brother had was something called ARCnet, a 2.5MB/sec system. He was the computer guru of the family, when he died I had to climb a steep learning curve just to get close. I just dumped a bunch of active hubs for it at a yard sale.

Last edited: