See the gun-shoot case.Innocent children

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The original M-16 was fully automatic ... emptying a clip very rapidly. It was modified for three round bursts.

The AR15 is a semi automatic weapon. You can empty the clip as fast as you can pull the trigger. Was this shooter taking aim or was it more of spray and pray ... Besides, this most recent shooter used the bushmaster most of the time. He still had extra clips of ammo for the 10 mm and 9 mm he was carrying, but no mention of extra clips for the bushmaster.

I've been told at the range, in michigan, to slow down my rate of fire with my semi-automatic .22 cal. I've also heard the range master to say that to someone who was firing an M-1 Garand. (a very nice weapon)

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Is a yugo a supercar just because its got a motor and wheels? Or is it because it goes 200mph and 0-60 in 2.8 seconds? :)
They are both cars and can be used for sport driving, for making deliveries, for commuting to work, and for assaulting pedestrians on the sidewalk. Granted, some vehicles (and some guns) are better for some uses than others, but that doesn't affect the right of sane law-abiding citizens to choose which one they want to own and drive, regardless of whether or not I think they made a good choice.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I've been told at the range, in michigan, to slow down my rate of fire with my semi-automatic .22 cal. I've also heard the range master to say that to someone who was firing an M-1 Garand. (a very nice weapon)
I was once told that at a range in California, but I wasn't surprised. I asked what was the maximum permissible rate of fire, but got no answer.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The original M-16 was fully automatic ... emptying a clip very rapidly. It was modified for three round bursts.

firing an M-1 Garand. (a very nice weapon)
Stop your giving me an erection! M-16 was a solid gun but they blew it with the launch. No cleaning kits issued, jammed constantly, etc... They've come a long way with the M-4 which is also full auto and burst. The m-16 didn't fire so fast they included burst. Many guns fire way faster. The burst feature was added because of wasted ammo in Nam. It was estimated that every 1000 rounds spent = 1 enemy down. So to stop the spray and pray they made it shoot 3 round bursts so you can re-aim. Its really just to conserve ammo. The AR15 will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger but you can also make if full auto with ease. With an AK you don't even need new parts.

Now the M-1 Garand = My favorite rifle in the world in M-14 setup. Lick my lips a lil bit. Its just crazy that a new M-1A garand made new from springfield costs $1500.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
When I served, the M16 was still fully automatic. We were trained to fire in 3-round bursts. But we have strayed far, far off topic. Goodbye.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats gonna happen with a 11 page thread. I always thought that was the point of large threads like these to just flow the information and let it develop as it may. The thread title really leaves it wide open to many discussions and developments. Thats just the way I see it.

happyganl

Joined Dec 17, 2009
Thats gonna happen with a 11 page thread. I always thought that was the point of large threads like these to just flow the information and let it develop as it may. The thread title really leaves it wide open to many discussions and developments. Thats just the way I see it.
I am busy these days ,I see you have been discussing hotlly,but I dont read carefully.
;)

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
They are both cars and can be used for sport driving, for making deliveries, for commuting to work, and for assaulting pedestrians on the sidewalk. Granted, some vehicles (and some guns) are better for some uses than others, but that doesn't affect the right of sane law-abiding citizens to choose which one they want to own and drive, regardless of whether or not I think they made a good choice.
They are both assult cars and should be banned immediately!!

Prove me wrong.:D

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I just watched the NRA speech on international cable news.

It was handled very impressively by them I thought. No waffle, no political posturing, no focus on blaming any group, no discussion of any gun restrictions.

Instead, they presented a senator who was also previously with homeland security and the main focus was on presenting a solution in terms of putting at least one armed security guard/cop in every school for the coming year. It was wonderful to see a focus entirely on a practical real-world solution, that CAN be implemented, (at a relatively low cost) and does not trample anyones rights.

And a notable quote from the speech; "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun... Is a good guy with a gun."

Thumbs up NRA for focusing on a solution, you guys need to become a political party. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

It was handled very impressively by them I thought. No waffle, no political posturing, no focus on blaming any group, no discussion of any gun restrictions.

Instead, they presented a senator who was also previously with homeland security and the main focus was on presenting a solution in terms of putting at least one armed security guard/cop in every school for the coming year. It was wonderful to see a focus entirely on a practical real-world solution, that CAN be implemented, (at a relatively low cost) and does not trample anyones rights.

And a notable quote from the speech; "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun... Is a good guy with a gun."

Thumbs up NRA for focusing on a solution, you guys need to become a political party. :)
Didn't watch it but know their stance. I agree we should have security in schools. I think our school had 1 resource officer for 1300 students. I think 4 armed security guards (Not normal guards but specially trained to deal with kids) per 200 students is a good number. But all in all I think most of this is lip service. As the current admin said they don'tplan on passing any new laws untill the ones on the books are enforced. One things for sure, the gun industry is blowing up. People are buying out all the bushmasters at walmart and auctioning them off for $2000 and $3000 dollars.

I like guns and monitor their sale price so in case i can get something I've been looking for. All the guns that were $1000 2 weeks ago are $3000, etc......Its so sad how scared the public gets from the news.' For one new story to spawn hundreds of thousands of people to go out and buy assualt rifles and 99% have no idea how to use them.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009

It was handled very impressively by them I thought.
The speech was OK, but I think they would be better served by another spokesman. Lapierre always comes off as looking a little nutty to me, I think a smoother delivery would make a better impression.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I have said for many years we need security in schools and even offered a concrete method: ask the teachers who would volunteer for training to be a school marshall (I would give extra $$ to them). They would be trained in emergency techniques. The teacher would have the option of concealed carry or store the weapon in class in a wall safe that keys to his thumb print (readily avaialble). The teacher would also carry a stick on brightly colored star to slap onto his shirt in an emergency so other responders (cops) would know the good guys from the bad as they entered. This stuff isn't brain surgery, it's easily doable it's just not free or easy. But it should be done.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Didn't watch it but know their stance. I agree we should have security in schools. I think our school had 1 resource officer for 1300 students. I think 4 armed security guards (Not normal guards but specially trained to deal with kids) per 200 students is a good number. But all in all I think most of this is lip service. As the current admin said they don'tplan on passing any new laws untill the ones on the books are enforced. One things for sure, the gun industry is blowing up. People are buying out all the bushmasters at walmart and auctioning them off for $2000 and $3000 dollars.
The reason is that whenever politicaians say "We must do SOMETHING" that something is usually both stupid and ineffective.

I have suggested in the past:

1) Uniform background checks even at gun shows. In California, the law is instant background checks at gun shows. It requires implementing some kind of computer system such as we have to tap into a central data base.

Problem is, most states see that as an expensive (unfunded) mandate from the federal government and a cost burden they have to bear. And they ask (fairly) wouldn't that money be better spent on more direct effective methods such as more police officers? I will agree with implementing universal background checks if the Fed will pay for it.

2) High cap magazines: I would suggest a compromise... legalize all STANDARD capacity mags, whatever the base mag is for the weapon. Locking it at ten rounds mean nearly every gun maker has to create a special crippled mag. I would agree with banning "extended" capacity mags or capping at 20 rounds, but 10 rounds mean nearly every standard pistol is forced to reduce standard capacity.

3) Assault weapons: I am not sure how to address this. I don't know how to define an assault weapon. In California it's a mess. They don't even allow detachable magazines. I think at least the definition should be standardized so they are all the same.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That follows on the same trail I've been mentioning. Mentally ill should not have access to firearms. The mental health system needs a major re-vamping.
Conservatives are staying far away from stepping on that land mine: it supports Obama's main claim as to the need for universal health care. You have many thousands of families with dangerously disturbed kids who simply have no recourse to effective treatment.

Back when Reagan was governor in california, he closed most of the state run mental facilities and dumped the loonies out on the street. Within a very short time they were in our prisons. At one point it was estimated that 40% of the prison population was nuts. The bottom line is, it doesn't save money to ignore a problem like mental health care.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Juxtapose the number of mass murders (more than four killed) at police stations and at "gun free" school zones.

The softer target will have the higher number of mass murders.
Ihave yet to hear any media person point out the fact: when the shooter saw the FIRST armed respondent, he immediately took his own life.

Earlier armed response = fewer people killed

I agree they always go for the targets which are filled with the most helpless victims in a small area for logistics reasons (it gives the maximum kill). If even two of those teachers were armed, they could have intervened and reduced the deaths and at least kept him occupied until the police arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.