See the gun-shoot case.Innocent children

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think if we can find the answer to why a hollywood movie star can make over $100 million a year, while persons with handicaps are turned away from basic health care, we'll have some insight as to 'what's going wrong'.
How about how a movie star or sports star can make well over $100 million a year and doctors, medical engineers, medical researchers, all folks that can help the handicapped or the sick, extremely talented and intelligent make next to nothing.

Movie star. What a joke. There are no more stars anymore. Most have no class whatsoever.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
...doctors...make next to nothing.
I should come to Pittsburg for my medical treatments. Here, doctors are the highest paid people in the county, many making multiple millions per year.

Movie star. What a joke. There are no more stars anymore. Most have no class whatsoever.
On that, I am with you all the way. Spoiled brats is the most polite way I can describe them.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I should come to Pittsburg for my medical treatments. Here, doctors are the highest paid people in the county, many making multiple millions per year.

On that, I am with you all the way. Spoiled brats is the most polite way I can describe them.
Very few doctors make "millions" a year. They also have a huge financial and time investment in their education.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
doctors, medical engineers, medical researchers, [...]make next to nothing.
Here, doctors are the highest paid people in the county, many making multiple millions per year.
According to this Forbes article:
A doctor who becomes a cardiologist or a radiologist commands twice ($380,000 or more) what a pediatrician ($190,000) does.[...] A general surgeon still makes about 50% more ($328,000) than an internist ($194,000)
A field where interns make almost a quarter mil per year isn't too shabby. Now add all the kickbacks they get from pharma reps for prescribing every single possible drug they can get away with, and from insurance companies' "in-network" ponzi schemes and the "multiple million dollars per year" doesn't sound altogether unattainable. Definitely a far cry from "next to nothing."

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A friend of mine from Canada thought the basic lack of public mental health care might have something to do with it. That was cut way back in the Reagan era, many people in institutions were just dumped on the streets. Now many people who need help aren't getting it.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
OK, I admit that's an exaggeration, but here is what the Bureau of Labor Statistics says is the best paying profession in the US.
1. Doctors and Surgeons

Average annual salary: $168,650-$234,950
Current employment: 618,000+

And bear in mind that is just the salary. In this area, doctors are owners (partial or total) in the hospitals and clinics where they also get a share of the profits. A few hundred thousand here and there adds up; first thing you know, it's real money...at least by my standards. Certainly not next to nothing.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Business managers get salaries that make those doctor salaries look like peanuts.

However the "profession" for business managers probably includes the 21 yr old who "manages" your local fast food store and there are great numbers of those type of managers who bring down the average salary.

Doctors annoy me, they have all these little special corrupt cheats that benefit them but don't apply to other highly trained professionals like us. Like calling their customers "patients" like somehow they are above a customer service relationship. Like charging for "consultation" instead of charging for an actual service or an actual (god forbid) working result. Like the way if his first half-assed guess at fixing you up doesn't work, YOU have to go back and PAY THE A-HOLE ALL OVER AGAIN!

And don't even get me started on that ridiculous pompous affectation of affixing their profession to their name! "Hello, I would like to book a table for two for DOCTOR John Smith". Grumble grumble. ;)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

MvGulik

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Mmm. Feels to me there not much soul searching going on here.

I could say I feel kinda bad for all those other humans that died prematurely in anonymity today. But than I would not only be lying to you ... but also to myself.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Mmm. Feels to me there not much soul searching going on here.

I could say I feel kinda bad for all those other humans that died prematurely in anonymity today. But than I would not only be lying to you ... but also to myself.
If we stopped the world every time a child under 12 years old was killed in a car accident, we'd be pausing over 100 times a day. :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is a significant difference between a random event and the shear maliciousness of the shooting. Insanity and evil are two works that just don't do it justice.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There is a significant difference between a random event and the shear maliciousness of the shooting. Insanity and evil are two works that just don't do it justice.
I don't mean to minimize the evil and madness in this situation at all.

If the goal is simply numbers in keeping children alive, swimming lessons or life jackets would save more lives than stopping shootings. Not that I promote/ignore senseless violence in any way. I do feel the coverage is not having a positive effect on other unstable people.

My point is there seems to be an agenda in the coverage that isn't exactly about safety of children, if that makes sense.

A tragedy happened. A mentally ill person went over the edge. The only practical change that can be made is dealing with mentally unstable people more diligently. However, that answer is rarely mentioned in the news, if at all. They are all about "bleeding leads ratings, ratings sell ads, ads make money", which disgusts me.

There was a law proposed in Connecticut that would have prevented this, by having the shooter institutionalized long before he snapped. However, that law did not pass. The media doesn't seem very keen on mentioning this fact, however.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Here in Australia most of the population has been disarmed, but we still have the od shootings involving mentaly disturbed people geting hold of guns. Mental health people have generaly been put back in the comunity with poor follow up, mainly due to budget cuts.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
While this was tragic, according to the CDC shooting, either intentional or accidental is number 135 in the way people are killed in the USA.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
the other part that no-one will cover is the effect of psych. drugs used to treat disorders such as Aspergers, schizophrenia, ADHD, manic depression, many of which, especially in adolescents, result in suicidal tendencies, severe depression, anxiety, hostility and serve only to exasperate their condition. Pharma will not allow that to come out.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
the other part that no-one will cover is the effect of psych. drugs used to treat disorders such as Aspergers, schizophrenia, ADHD, manic depression, many of which, especially in adolescents, result in suicidal tendencies, severe depression, anxiety, hostility and serve only to exasperate their condition. Pharma will not allow that to come out.
It seems many are aware of SSRIs causing violence or suicidal thoughts, but are prescribed anyway, hoping the side effects are more "treatable" than the improvement the SSRIs allegedly provide.

I believe returning to basic things, such as diet, routine, and therapy would vastly improve quality of life for many who have mental issues. However, those things take time, and time costs too much, so they hand out speed and powerful mental altering drugs like candy, at least in the US.

Correcting the issue will require a large fundamental change, rather than accpeting "diversity", teach responsibility and values a bit harder, and for those who still cannot be helped, try medication, but only when closely supervised for adverse side effects. This solution is essentially saying "do the opposite of what they are trying now", so will probably not change any time soon.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Blaming all these violent attacks solely on mental health issues is a bit of an oversimplification I think.

Reality is full of chaos and randomly occurring acts and we have massive populations, high population densities, high stress and aggravation levels, people with abrasive and self-serving attitudes and very poor manners etc and an increasingly efficient media at reporting every event.

So there will be an increase of violent behaviour compared to say 100 years ago because of the population issues and people having much worse manners and worse self control. And an increase in reporting the incidents that do occur.

If I'm right things will stabilise fairly soon or have stabilised already? People's manners and upbringing really can't get much worse than they are today, and the media can't get much better at finding incidents to report than what it already does today.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Just got this as SPAM and googled it:

http://www.dailypaul.com/266594/newtown-connecticut-is-the-second-dunblane-primary-school-massacre

Also an oversimplification. Conspirations... Ha
You know, my mind goes in that direction. It was the first thing I thought of. Right before it happened, there were more whisperings about gun bans, etc. and then it happened again. When I heard about it on the radio my thoughts were "oh wow, what a coincidence. That'll conveniently be enough ammunition to get the ball rolling. Nothing could stir the emotion of a nation more than when children are slaughtered." But, I have to be very careful where I let mind wander. And even more careful what things I let escape my mind via my mouth or keyboard. So I'll just leave it at: The thought crossed my mind, but I cannot endorse this theory without a wealth of evidence. Spouting unconventional theory with no evidence as fact, and making wild accusations against ambiguous "the man"-type targets does not help anybody or any cause. It only makes the messenger look like a nutcase. Despite the fact that dailypaul.com is not operated by Ron Paul, the person who posted the article was not Ron Paul, nor was the author Ron Paul, I'm a little disappointed that this article is hosted on this website. It detracts from Ron Paul's credibility and associates him, and further me (for supporting him), with nutcasery.

lynnfaiz

Joined Dec 16, 2012
This is really tragic, yes it changed the life of the affected families forever. Not forgetting thousands of innocent children are shot in Palestine too. Here in my place, in this week, a 4 years old boy get abused by stepfather, a 2 years old boy died being abused by his mother's boyfriend. These people are mentally sick, they have no sense of humanity.

Talking about shooting games, Its not a good way of 'having fun'. I am not allowing my kids to play with gun toys anymore, and luckily they have no iPad or any software games. Angry bird is also a problem to me- a violent society in the making.Why cant the bird be HAPPY instead...? I often wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.