Securing a solar panel to a piece of wood.

pdavis68

Joined Nov 27, 2013
I'm building some little circuit blocks of my 6 yo daughter. She played with some at a local tech museum kind of place (called Amazeum) and really enjoyed them and has been asking me for months to build her some. The way they work is you have little wood blocks (i'm using 3/4" plywood in 3"x6" blocks). One will have a battery pack (with 4xAA), with nails used for the terminals, one has some LEDs (and current limiting resistors), with nails as the terminals, one has a motor, one a buzzer, one knife switch, etc. Then you use wires with alligator clips to hooks stuff together.

Anyway, one of the things I got was a little 4"x2.5" solar panel. I'm assuming the back of it is fiberglass (it's black). What can I use to seal it to the wood? I've got two wires soldered to the terminals on the back and I dug a little trench in the wood to run the wires. Now I just need a way to secure it to the wood without damaging it. I have wood glue and I have clear RTV silicone adhesive. It says it adheres to metal, glass and rubber. So I'm concerned it won't seal to the wood. What will adhere to both wood and fiberglass?

pdavis68

Joined Nov 27, 2013
Nice! I didn't really think about using hardware to secure it. No holes or anything in it, but mirror mounting clips are a great idea. Thanks!