Second hand test equipment

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Hi all,

I'm not exactly sure where to put this thread, it's been a toss up between here, electronics resources and the flea market, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.:)

Does anyone know of a second hand electronic test equipment supplier, preferably one which is quite cheap?

The reason is that I'm looking for my first bench power supply, using batteries is too time consuming and annoying. I've tried searching Ebay, but all the bargins are snapped up...:(

Thanks for your time,

Sparky

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I moved it to the electronic resources forum.
You are not able to start a thread in the flea market, as you are not a senior member yet.

If you are looking for equipment it would be good to know your location.
This would narrow the search.

Bertus

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Thanks Bertus,

I live in Cambridgeshire, in the UK. I've searched all of Ebay UK, and a little of the US Ebay, but the postage from the US is regularly too expensive for me.

As for the actual supply, I'm not too fussed about high voltages and current, but to have a accurate and wide selection would be nice. Something suitable for 'everyday' electronics, if that's not too vague.:rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Sparky

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
My budget would be at the very most £100 (~$160USD). Unless it is a great supply, that would have to include the postage.

I've looked at what Maplins offers, but I don't think I'll buy from them. They've ripped me off several times with out-of-date books, and I have found them to have very little knowledge of electronics.

In short, I'm boycotting Maplins ATM.;)

I'd be really chuffed if the supply had a dual supply.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You need to learn to have patience (yes, I know it's hard!). I've purchased 4 or 5 power supplies from ebay over the years and I got my favorite power supply (an HP E3615A) for $100 delivered -- and it appeared to be in brand new condition. I was the only bidder too, as they usually go for more. In some cases, I've waited over 5 years to find the device I was looking for. That includes bidding and losing lots of auctions, but I also had researched the markets, knew what something was worth to me, and was willing to wait.

You also need to get creative. Start actively looking around and asking local businesses if they have any older stuff they'd be willing to sell. I've found good deals from guys selling surplus stuff from their garage. Network with like-minded friends too.

Another option is to build your own. There are numerous places that talk about building a supply from an ATX power supply.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
I find that the best method on eBay, is to bid on a sale that ends at some odd hour.
I also have a clock icon on my computer that shows the local time and the e-Bay time.
Putting in a bid too early just drives the price up.
If you can find a item with few bids, and then just place your one bid within the last 10 seconds, it helps immensely.
I bought a BK Precision 1730 (0-30volt 0-3A Power supply) for $35 that was used in a commercial antenna manufacturers lab and was in just like new condition.
Of course you can be deceived by inaccurate description, but on that one a got a good deal.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Patience? patience?!?! What's that?!?!:D

Why can't all the bidders on Ebay just not bid on the cool power supplies so I can buy one for £10? They're just being nasty.;)

I think, you're right. I'll send a couple of emails to local electronic companies in my area, and see if they have anything they want to sell. I did some work experience with a manufacturer in my town last year, so they'll be my first port of call.

Either that, or buy a cheap, cruddy supply until a better one comes along.