SD card interfacing

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by dhruv1128, Aug 13, 2014.

1. dhruv1128

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Hello all,

I have interfaced arduino with SD card and storing data of RPM at eery minute. When I place the module at my room, it works properly i.e. data gets stored in SD card SD card.

But, when I place the module near a machine driven by a motor, many error(junk) files are generated in SD card.

I have used SPI communication to interface SD card with arduino.

Does this happen due to increase in surrounding temperature or some other problem?

Please help me to solve the problem.

Thank You
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Sounds like EMI since there is a motor involved. That comes conducted (where it sneaks in over wires, like thru the power supply input) or radiated where your Arduino is acting like a radio receiver, only it just gets the station with corruption.

Can you run the board off batteries? If yes, and you still get junk then it is radiated, and you need shielding like a metal box.

If not, it is conducted and we'll need to see the schematic to make suggestions.
    dhruv1128 likes this.
  3. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    you need to install a snubber on the motor, and probably toroids on the power supply wires too, maybe also shield and ground them so they dont pick up EMI.

For 100mA or so, smaller coils will also do.
    dhruv1128 likes this.