scrolling text on led matrix using shift register with 8051 mc

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
I want to interface led matrix with 8051 micro controller for scrolling text on it using shift register.

i have hard time in finding the reference study material for this project.

i did googled it but i didn't got any satisfactory results of it

i mean i want to study it in detail.

could any one give me any link or reference for that
i want to use embedded c code

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Why would you add a shift register for scrolling when you have a micro right there?

Scrolling is accomplished by simply changing the data you send to the display. Of course, this will vary depending on the display being used.

So if you let us know what the display is...

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I don't know about shift register.

When you put data out, you know your starting location/place. So just shift it.. Let say I start at address 80h. I want to shift to the right. I send data to start at 80h. Then I send clear command. Then I send data to 81h. This should work for LCD.

Since you are working with LED. It seems to me you need to shift data itself, since I don't think you have an address that you can shift. Let say you have four letters ABCD that you want to shift right. Define a matrix with ABCD and an empty space in it. Then you can send specific cells of the matrix in whatever order you like. Since we want to shift right in this example. We send cells that contain ABCD first. Then we send cell that contains empty space followed by cells that contain ABCD. Now we have shifted ABCD one space to the right. Depending on how much you are showing on LED matrix, this can be done easily and it is easy to understand. If you have large image, you might want to consider some kind of for loop.

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
Why would you add a shift register for scrolling when you have a micro right there?

Scrolling is accomplished by simply changing the data you send to the display. Of course, this will vary depending on the display being used.

So if you let us know what the display is...
I am using LED matrix