Screen Capture

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hello,

Do any of you know a program that captures a screen (obviously of another program :D) without capturing also the border (the title bar, minimize bar, etc.)?

There are lots of screen capturing program but yeah they capture also the borders (Like alt + print screen), I just want the exact screen.

I know you can just use snipping tool but yeah, my hands not perfect. There may also be some residue (border) left that I have noticed.

Thank you!
I use Screenhunter. It works really well and it's free.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
In my PC I get the whole screen, no matter what:

Alt + Prnt Scrn
Ctrl + Prnt Scrn
Prnt Scrn
If your window covers the "whole screen" I would expect you to get the "whole screen". The selected window is in the center of my screen and you clearly see just the window with the alt+PrtScrn

attached it my test ....

Prt Scrn
Ctrl Prt Scrn
Alt Prt Scrn

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Yep, that would be it. And on Win98 you don't have to press ALT or CTRL, you just press the "PrintScreen" key. Luxury. :)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
While testing the different options, I discovered by accident an option from Irfan View:

With the screen showing the image that you are interested to capture, you just open IrfanView and press Ctrl Prnt Scrn.

Irfan View's own window will be minimized and a cross like cursor will show up for you to select a rectangle started by a click and completed upon a second one.

Once done, IV will maximize, showing the just selected portion. Simple and practical.

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I see you're using XP. Perhaps that is why it is different--I think the others were using Windows 7.
Matt,

Those commands are essentially, except prtscrn, the same since DOS came out. PrtScrn sent the screen to the LPT1 port which was connected to the printer. I don't think Alt-PrtScrn came out until the windows program where we actually had a "window".

There are still keyboard commands that are still in use. Copy and Paste keyboard commands I know existed in "wordstar", a CP/M word processing program.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I noticed that the magic keystrokes to capture the screen varied from one flavor of Windows to the next and chaulked it up to this insatiable need to change things just to change them. I find it quite annoying.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I noticed that the magic keystrokes to capture the screen varied from one flavor of Windows to the next and chaulked it up to this insatiable need to change things just to change them. I find it quite annoying.
What could be the actual reason?

They do on purpose to show "changes" or they are new code-writers with their own ideas?

Annoying and ridiculous.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
WBahn,

I haven't noticed that at all. The "re-learning" curve would make the users upset more than anything else. I've only know of the three I've mentioned as keyboard "shortcuts" for printing a screen. Line printers are ancient history by now so there re-routing of that keystroke to the cache for later pasting, leaving only those who used computers for a few decades remembering that PrtScrn actually meant Print Screen.

I've worked with CTOS, BTOS, DOS, CP/M, Windows, MAC, and other OS that were so infrequent I can't remember. Keyboard shortcuts were pretty common with all those systems and programs. Don't get me wrong, there were enough inconsistencies that you had to remember where you were to keep them straight.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hello,

Do any of you know a program that captures a screen (obviously of another program :D) without capturing also the border (the title bar, minimize bar, etc.)?

There are lots of screen capturing program but yeah they capture also the borders (Like alt + print screen), I just want the exact screen.

I know you can just use snipping tool but yeah, my hands not perfect. There may also be some residue (border) left that I have noticed.

Thank you!
Maybe we got to address the OP.

Whether the shortcuts capture the full screen or part of it, selection by "cursor" is the is the issue. You need a "numerical" way to define the capture range. As far as I know, there is no way to do this directly.

You need to capture the screen and edit it using an editor where thye "boundaries" can be set numerically.

Ramesh

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Maybe we got to address the OP.

Whether the shortcuts capture the full screen or part of it, selection by "cursor" is the is the issue. You need a "numerical" way to define the capture range. As far as I know, there is no way to do this directly.

You need to capture the screen and edit it using an editor where thye "boundaries" can be set numerically.

Ramesh
Hola Ramesh,
It seems to me that what I mention here adress his needs perfectly.

Just two clicks and done.

Attachments