Scrapping EMA, about time!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Robin Mitchell, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi everyone,

In the UK they are scarpping EMA, and about time.
    For those who dont know what EMA, its a goverment funding that gives money to students whos parents earn less than so much. EMA is there to help with your education but.....here is why it needs to go:

EMA is a waste of taxs payers money. Kids obtain this money and DONT spend it on the things that will help them in their education. When bus fees went up for students, those who had EMA must use that EMA money to pay for the bus fees so they can go to school and not spend it on clothes or whatever they fancy

They should replace EMA with free school equipment, books and paid for travel cost. That ALL they need...
    You can not POSSIBLE argue about this, because its completly right!

As taken from my facebook XD

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I CAN argue with it, because it affects me as a student. EMA (if or when I get it as I've only just been able to apply) will go towards buying myself new equipment. For example, a new laptop (as I use a laptop in college for typing) as my current one is breaking down. In university, I will probably put that towards food (as student jobs don't pay that much.)

3. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    you are one of the few that do use it correctly, but its costing the tax payer way too much. This is why the goverment is intriducing a differnt method to help people with their education. University will be difficult as the same for me, but you have to tough it out :/
    My brother is at oxford university, and his life is crap because he does not go out, not allowed to get a job AND is always low on money, but he just toughs it out!

4. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009
    Indeed, most of that money is wasted. At university, we had all the IT facilities to use, so no real need for a laptop. At home, a modest PC was enough for me. I was spending, around £450 monthly to cover my food, rent and some other expenses. No drinking or going out every week, so I could save. Students like campus life, but then you would be paying around £600 monthly only for your rent.

5. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Yeah, my handwriting is really bad (I have diagnosed dyspraxia) so I type most of my work in lessons and in exams I can use a college laptop (which is locked down so there is no spell check and I don't have an advantage.) The IT facilities are good at my college, but they are all desktop PCs. I have a modest computer already (about 7 in parts), most of them are given to me because they are slightly out of date (for example Pentium 4, Intel Core) or because they have viruses on Windows, but laptops aren't usually free. I had to recently pay Dell £107 + £17 to get it fixed, the hinges had broken on the LCD, this same fault happened just 10 months ago and obviously makes me short of cash. So EMA is good here for me. My family is quite low income, so it might sometimes go on college food, or get saved up for a rainy day.

6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I hear truth is these post,I really wish there were some way to help you
    guys. If we have prince on the Forum how about..................

Maybe If you are trading In for the Holidays, what a way to do a random
    act of kindness..Laptops..we don't how lucky some of us are........

Does some one have the time to gather Information If suppied to arrange shipping
    and Information. Does Santa really exit..how do you code a western union
    any knowledgeable people out there....do we have a laptop update and fix it guy,
    or more.

What a time to step up........Can you guys share close to home....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    Loosewire, i really like you but i never understand your posts.
    I want a picture of you, your location and IM address plus webcam chat!!!
    Im sick of this mysterious person ! ;)

8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Why would you like to meet me. If you are sick of me or
    Is just the use of words in a different way.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  9. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009
    tom66, I'm sure the government will be setting up other systems of funding for help people in genuine need. As far as I know, this has always been the case in the UK. What I think the government is trying to do is to decentralised the system. In the future, I believe local councils will be given more responsibilities. It is easier and better managed this way. Having a big system makes tracking abusers very difficult. The lesson to extract here, is to realise that this system hasn't worked effectively. And inevitably, trying out methods can be costly over the long run.

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    WM, you ARE a mysterious person. There is a lot of curiosity about who you are. Of course, a lot of the thrill of the internet is the anonymity. Leave em guessing brother.

11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    We are keeping your annual Chistmas post alive,look at numbers of views.
    People like Chistmas,I hope you post many more Christmas annual stories
    Remember me on Christmas I will be thinking of you and all you do for
    the youth In your community.

12. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    one day i will hack loosewires computer and find out his location on the planet. Then i will go there, find him and say "I HAVE FOUND YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"

13. Nanophotonics

Apr 2, 2009
    MITCH, Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Broward County, that's already a very good start! :D

14. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  15. Robin Mitchell

Oct 25, 2009
    interstingly, students should not really be getting arsy because they pay back the loan over a LARGE time AND when they have a good income. Its like £20 a month the payback loan.....

Also, i dont have to pay the extra because it does not affect me, im joing uni next year were as this affects 2012, muhahaha >: )

16. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Mitch, You misread my post the other day,I was asking people
    to donate there trade-In to students with old laptops.
    I ask If any one had the time thru e-mail to handle
    shipments of any donations of trade In laptops,just trying to help.