SCR trigger switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regected

Joined May 24, 2009
I'm trying to put together a quick a dirty EM disk launcher. I have 3 large electrolytic capacitors in parallel with a large SCR for switching. I'm trying to come up with an easy way to manually trigger the device. I did try just connecting the anode to the gate through an appropriately sized current limiting diode. The SCR got fried. After digging into the datasheet a little deeper, I discovered these things use a relativly low voltage to trigger. Lesson learned, all be it an expensive lesson.

This setup will be ran at a voltage range from 30V to 300V+ with several different coils on the output, so creating a triggering circuit wil be difficult to say the least. I was thinking of using a 9 volt batterywith a momentary switch and resistor to trigger the SCR. Will this work, or will I end up blowing the battery up?

I'm using a SanRex PK55GB80 SCR.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
From our code of conduct:

2. Appropriate conduct. Forum members are responsible for the content of their posts, including information they provide, validity of this information, and any extra content they may append to the post.

Illegal or inappropriate discussion or information will be removed. When there is ambiguity in the legal status of a request or reply, the Moderators and Admin will come to a consensus on whether the discussion is appropriate to remain in the public forum.

Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.