Scope waveforms for components

Iggylites

Joined Sep 13, 2009
Hello All, first post for me here..I was surprised I never heard of this page before.

Because of the nature of my work I tend to acquire new knowledge purely as new challenges come up. Now I find myself needing to do some occasional sensor and component readings and I realize I don't necessarily know what all components look like on a scope when they're good.

I know, I should take the time and look at them and analyze them but unfortunately I don't have said time...I really don't. So, does anyone know of a good resource that contains the different waveforms of different components?

Cheers!!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hello All, first post for me here..I was surprised I never heard of this page before.

Because of the nature of my work I tend to acquire new knowledge purely as new challenges come up. Now I find myself needing to do some occasional sensor and component readings and I realize I don't necessarily know what all components look like on a scope when they're good.

I know, I should take the time and look at them and analyze them but unfortunately I don't have said time...I really don't. So, does anyone know of a good resource that contains the different waveforms of different components?

Cheers!!
Greetings iggylites,

Can you be a bit more specific? What waveforms are you interested in generating?

hgmjr

Iggylites

Joined Sep 13, 2009
True...I guess I mistook what I was trying to say. If one puts probes on a diode for example, or a resistor...what would the resulting shape in the screen be?

Thanks

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Perhaps you can pick a specific component and study it in detail. You can consult the manufacturer's datasheet to determine the various operating limits for the component.

You can then breadboard the component and observe what happens as you change the surrounding component values.

AAC is here for you to consult when you observe something that does not behave as you expect.

Be sure to check out the material in the AAC ebook for addition insights into how to analyze the circuits you construct.

hgmjr

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Take a look here: http://www.huntron.com/products/tracker30-demo.htm

This is a unit that will generate a "Signature" of a component while in a circuit. Typical use is for board testing during manufacture with the optional robotic probe. We have one where I work and found that even though it may be great for manufacturing where multiple and identical units are tested, it doesn't work very well in a repair environment, even for supposedly identical units. What we found was that identical part number ICs will display different in circuit signatures if made by different manufacturers. Rather messes up the testing. Other than that, it is great in that it will take and memorize a signature for a specific point on unit "A" and compare it to the same point on all other units. Tolerances can be set and an alarm given if the test does not meet the criteria.

Iggylites

Joined Sep 13, 2009
Thanks Bill that's pretty good, not sure if I want to invest in something that precise though!

I's guessing I'll either buy a signal generator or build an Octopus? I've seen the old Hameg HZ65 but they don't make them any more. That seems precisely what I need, and they've been recommended by other techs in my field. Anything similar that you know of?

Cheers!!

Iggylites

Joined Sep 13, 2009
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've figured out what I'm looking for is a curve tracer. I was shown this by a tech in Belgium so between his English and my Flemish we didn't get far. Google on the other hand... :)

So I guess I could make my own or try and find one in eBay. I've seen a Hameg HZ65 as a real "finished" product but I can't seem to find one for sale. Anyone know of companies that do stand alone curve tracers (as in not a plug in module for a scope)?

Cheers and thanks for the help!