Scope Telequipment D61A;horizontal position fault

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's what I get for mixing metaphors;) -- 'elephants in the room' might have been more apropos even if less 'dramatic'/'comic':cool:

PS - angle grinder isn't parallel:confused: -- Did you, perchance, mean a organ grinder's monkey;):D

Lousy auto-spellers!:rolleyes:
On a Usenet motorcycle group - the angle grinder is the suggested solution for any problem.

How about a porcupine in a rubber johnny factory............................

@patpin

So... Ok Here we go! ---First let's eliminate some 'likely suspects':cool:

Should you encounter an 'out of spec' reading please stop at that step and report your findings!:)

TR33: BE 0,69; BC 0,67; TR35:BE 0,69; BC 0,68; all reverses give -;
---Emphasis added---

1) In post No. 12 (quoted, in part, above) you indicated that you checked TR33 and TR35 --- When, in fact, it is TR33 and TR37 that require checking --- If that was not a 'typo' please check TR37:)

2) Please check the associated collector resistors (R92 and R109) --- Please disconnect one end of each resistor prior to measurement...

Now the direct-coupled resistors in the emitter circuits:

5) R98 -- Note: Disconnect one end prior to measurment
6) R104 (end to end and 'wiper' to each end) -- Note: Entirely disconnect from circuit prior to measurement -- please take care to avoid disturbance of the 'setting'

7) R93, R107, R94 -- Note: these resistors must be disconnected at one end prior to measurement

8) R108 (end to end and 'wiper' to each end) Note: R108 should be entirely disconnected from the circuit prior to measurement ---
please take care to avoid disturbance of the 'setting'

9) Verify +110V supply at any point connected to point #156/29 as shown on the attached schematic
10) Verify -13v supply at any point connected to point #156/79 as shown on the attached schematic

Please advise us of your results!:):):)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

patpin

Joined Sep 15, 2012

Should you encounter an 'out of spec' reading please stop at that step and report your findings!:)

---Emphasis added---

1) In post No. 12 (quoted, in part, above) you indicated that you checked TR33 and TR35 --- When, in fact, it is TR33 and TR37 that require checking --- If that was not a 'typo' please check TR37:)

2) Please check the associated collector resistors (R92 and R109) --- Please disconnect
one end of each resistor prior to measurement...

5) R98 -- Note: Disconnect one end prior to testing
6) R104 (end to end and 'wiper' to each end) -- Note: Entirely disconnect from circuit prior to measurement -- please take care to avoid disturbance of the 'setting'

7) R93, R107, R94 -- Note: these resistors must be disconnected at one end prior to measurement

8) R108 (end to end and 'wiper' to each end) Note: R108 should be entirely disconnected from the circuit prior to measurement ---

9) Verify +110V supply at any point connected to point #156/29 as shown on the attached schematic
10) Verify -13v supply at any point connected to point #156/79 as shown on the attached schematic

Best regards
HP
Hypatia, thanks for beeing back:cool:. It was a typo the R35; It should have been R37.
I 'll try to measure tonight the rest tonight

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
yes I can move the beam even off the screen to the left but not further than 2/5ths of the screen to the right.
I vaguely remember a fault with an old Telequipment scope that was caused by a row of leaf contacts that connect to studs on the side of the X plug in. The contacts had folded back when the module had been taken out and put back.

The model number is lost in the mists of aging memory - as is the exact nature of the fault.

The scope was in a busy service shop so we didn't have time for more than a cursory inspection. We got another scope from somewhere and the faulty one was stowed at the back of the garage. When I eventually found it again, I had plenty of better scopes, so decided to strip it for anything useful - that's when the fault came to light.

BTW: When I click "more options" to select watch thread and receive notifications - the notifications bit stays greyed out and nothing I've tried checks the box! - anyone else having trouble with this?

Its a real pain having to remember which threads I've posted to and manually looking for new replies!

BTW: When I click "more options" to select watch thread and receive notifications - the notifications bit stays greyed out and nothing I've tried checks the box! - anyone else having trouble with this?
FWIW -- I receive 'alerts' to activity on every thread I've posted on --- Interestingly I likewise receive email notices for this thread?:confused:

Best regards
HP:)

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
FWIW -- I receive 'alerts' to activity on every thread I've posted on --- Interestingly I likewise receive email notices for this thread?:confused:

Best regards
HP:)
Your reply generated a notification - but I've had a conspicuously quiet inbox for a couple of days, and the unmovable greyed out notification check box suggested a likely culprit.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
It arrived after measuring a signal which appeared to be to high in Voltage for the scope (probably > 300V; with probe x10)
Mr Patpin That only 30V on vertical channel if use x10 probe. If mean 300v after probe attenuation then damage possible but damage to input channel during use for horz input can't effect sweep display on normal modes. Sorry to text so dumb, can't help it, it's my blonde hair and all;)

patpin

Joined Sep 15, 2012
@patpin

---Emphasis added---

2) Please check the associated collector resistors (R92 and R109) --- Please disconnect one end of each resistor prior to measurement...

Best regards
HP
@patpin

---Emphasis added---

Best regards
HP
Hallo, finally back at work.
I started with the simpelest.
yr items above: 9) 121 V; and 10) -13,8; guess +-9% error is to mutch?

patpin

Joined Sep 15, 2012
Please ignore voltages above; tension selector was at 214V while here we have 234V;
After rectif; 9) 111 V; and 10) -12,8;
X ampli error remains the same...

patpin

Joined Sep 15, 2012
Nice to see yr active!! by the way I am looking at R80 and R69 now; I will desolder both and measure the R values; also R66;
One more question: can one measure (AC) on the scope with the scope???

can one measure (AC) on the scope with the scope???
I don't recommend testing an instrument with itself inasmuch as unanticipated electrical conditions may arise -- moreover it quickly becomes a matter of "iatre, therapeuson seauton" carried to its ultimate conclusion:eek:;):D

I hope to review the thread and get back to you sometime tomorrow:):):)

Best regards
HP:cool:

Last edited:

patpin

Joined Sep 15, 2012
Hate to disapoint anyone who offered help. After doiing the measurement, I happen to have nothing anymore at all at my scope tube..as if it died... I had no HV probe and made one with a serial R of 3,4M and between the measuring electrodes 340K and a 15pF C (ratio 1:10); internal R of DMM is 10M.
I calibrated on a 600V tension versus a DMM and at 600V range and lower it was effectively 1:10 ratio)
Now I can check voltages on the tube:
heater: 6V AC;
rest is DC ref. to frame:
cathode part of heater at -810 (intensity low); -560V (intensity high);
on g1(intensity): -620;
on a2 (focus):-510 ->-700; on A4(anode?) +1730V (should be 2500);
on g of GEOM:+50;
On the previously mentioned hor. amp there is still 106V;
any ideas on what to check next? Thanks; (at Hypatia: the doctor didn't healed himself apparently...)