Scope Meter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BReeves, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BReeves

Thread Starter Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I may be in the market for a Scope Meter and retire my old Tectonics storage scope. Not something I would use constantly and of course would be looking for the best deal. (read cheap)

Bandwidth isn't critical, getting away with 20mhz now.

Storage would be a plus but not being up on Scope Meters I'm not sure if this is something most have or not. Quite a price range on eBay with what looks like a few pretty good deals from China and Hong Kong but you know that can be a hit or miss..

So tell me what your experience is and help me make a decision?

Thanks...

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I'll speak on Fluke, because that's the only thing worth having IMO.

I was in the market for a scopemeter a couple of years ago, and to paraphrase the weeks worth of information I uncovered in customer reviews, the older scopemeters (Fluke 99B, 123, 95, 96B, et. al.) were a compromise between a DMM and an o-scope, and really weren't a great DMM -OR- O-scope. The best thing to have is a 192, 196, et. al. because they are a legit scope, with some multimeter functions. I used to have a Fluke 196B, and it was really nice. Good scope. Plus the multimeter functions were good and it had the option to record over long time spans on a downloadable strip chart, which made troubleshooting intermittent problems possible. I could leave it hooked up to two suspected failure points and let it run for a few days, until the fault occurred, and correlate that to the chart to figure out what went awry and when.

#12 likes this.
  3. BReeves

Thread Starter Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, just bought a Fluke 192 slightly used for $600.00. Not sure if that was a deal or not but seemed like a good enough price to me.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Hey, good deal. You won't be disappointed. IIRC, that was selling for $1,800 last time I looked.