Scope listed on eBay. Only one bid so far, should I panic?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I listed my Tek 200mhz on eBay. It works great and didn't really want to sell it but it is not getting much use after buying my digital scope and I really can't justify keeping it since most of the stuff I do is sub 20mhz digital anyway.

But I digress. I have it listed for $125.00. Only one bid so far with 5 days to go. I really wanted to get $200 for it but set a lower opening bid to get bids. It has been a while since I since anything on ebay. Should I panic or should more bids come in later in the game?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Most of the bids come in the last couple of days as it moves closer to the top of the search listings. Don't panic yet.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
link it and I'll check it out and make sure you didn't screw the pooch. You need to watch how many watchers you have. As said most bids will come in, in hte last min or even second. I like to bid with about 1.0-0.5 seconds left. Sometimes netlag will screw you on it but sometimes it wins and their not quick enough to rebid. link it for me so I can see ending time, how its listed, check it out. i do lots of biz on CL and FeeBay. You'd be shocked the difference ending times can make with how much you get.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
link it and I'll check it out and make sure you didn't screw the pooch.
Not sure if shameless plugs are against the rules but I have been around long enough so if someone wants to slap my hands so be it. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281047528208?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Trying to sell these nifty camp signs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281047538264?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

No bids at all yet but 2 watches. I doubt there is much of a call for camp signs in the middle of winter. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
OK my verdict is you did good with the Scope, i'd add "probes" to the title but thats it. Also look for common mispellings of osciloscope or techtronics at the bottom so when people miss-search your item comes up. Your end time is good on a Tue or Wed at about 9-10pm EST Which is where you wanna be on a weekday early enough for Eastcoast and late enough for West coasters to get home.
Watch your watchers if you have 10-20 watchers by 24hours left let it ride and let em bid. If it says 2 or 4 watchers with 25hours left cancel the auction. You only need 2 players to get a good price but with watchers usually only 1 in 10 is serious.

The camping sign! Times ok but I've found listing on a Fri, Sat, or Sun ending time is gambling because people are occupied. But its only a camp sign so should sell for 15.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks for the tips on the misspelled words. I remember reading about that now. I added them and searched but it did not find my listing but maybe the system has not index yet.

I tried changing the title but it would not let me.

Can you cancel an auction w/o getting you hand slapped?

BTW what is a scope like that going for these days? Maybe $125 is all I can get?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I wouldn't expect much to happen until at least a couple of hours before it ends.

That's the thing. Most people will sort by time ending soonest. Anything which ends the next day, will still be there for them to bid on tomorrow.

Some do slip through though, like how I got my logic analyser, but that is very rare.

Don't worry about it though. :) In future, you might consider putting a reserve on it. That way you can start bidding at $125.00, but it won't sell if it hasn't gone over your reserve amount.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am a classic sniper. I wait for the last 30 seconds and give the max I am willing to pay plus 2¢, to frustrate other snipers.

Since my paypal account was hacked (and they didn't seem to care) I rarely use eBay, unless the seller will take checks/money orders.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
If I didn't know you from this forum, I wouldn't buy your scope because you only 5 feedback as a seller. This is the problem I ran into, trying to sell "high" value items on ebay. Nobody would buy from me. Try selling a few hundred useless $.50 trinkets and then relist your scope.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
You need many more photos. For feedback, as Strantor stated, 5 with 100% is about the minimum, more would be better.

If you cancel it, you lose listing fees and some other penalties. You don't want to get a rep for cancelling, you win some you lose some, some ebay-talk sites will keep the names of sellers who cancel auctions due to not being high enough, it is considered very rude. Opinion is one should either start the bidding close to what one wants for an item, or have a reserve on it.

To boost people interested, show in GOOD high-res pictures all sides of scope, with ruler, and all accessories, list features, such as original probes, function generator, etc. If you have something extra to throw in, such as a PIC 12F875 programmed as an RGB Mood Light (w/RGB LED so buyer can "see PWM" as a real world test), people will actually up their bids by $20 or more on the scope itself. Human nature or something like that.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
You need many more photos. For feedback, as Strantor stated, 5 with 100% is about the minimum, more would be better.

If you cancel it, you lose listing fees and some other penalties. You don't want to get a rep for cancelling, you win some you lose some, some ebay-talk sites will keep the names of sellers who cancel auctions due to not being high enough, it is considered very rude. Opinion is one should either start the bidding close to what one wants for an item, or have a reserve on it.

To boost people interested, show in GOOD high-res pictures all sides of scope, with ruler, and all accessories, list features, such as original probes, function generator, etc. If you have something extra to throw in, such as a PIC 12F875 programmed as an RGB Mood Light (w/RGB LED so buyer can "see PWM" as a real world test), people will actually up their bids by $20 or more on the scope itself. Human nature or something like that.

Yes, I've had some items not sell because I didn't have enough pics, or described the item TOO thoroughly.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If I didn't know you from this forum, I wouldn't buy your scope because you only 5 feedback as a seller. This is the problem I ran into, trying to sell "high" value items on ebay. Nobody would buy from me. Try selling a few hundred useless $.50 trinkets and then relist your scope.
This will be an issue only having 5 feedbacks. I'd pitch it here a bunch and if everyone says its a slamming deal I'll bid it up to 200.

Another tactic is to have your friend come in and bid it up to 200 now. Then others will slowley start bidding to see where the end is. That way if you don't get you 200 you don't have to sell it, just pay the $7 in fees and keep the scope. But this is illegal so have someone on the forum like me do it so they don't see we live 2 miles from each other. Then we'd just both give each other good feedback and try to sell it again. But i am in the market for a scope so I may bid on it anyways. Brownouts saying its good and he's an hour away so he could probably help me if I have any issues.

Speaking of which Me, Brownout, Loosie, and 12 need to hit Daytona for the 500, spring break or bike week this year. Were all in FL. I can drive me and 12 and even pick up Brownout on the way.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yeah I wouldn't want to do that. I guess I will just let it ride and eat it if it does not sell for what. I did get another bid. Over $150 now.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Finally got the photos posted. Lousy server kept crashing. Looks like once you post photos, you can take them down which really stinks. I have a dupe because of the crashing issue and the one photo I wish I would have straightened it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Looks like your gonna do fine, you got 2 bidders going at it already with about 3 days left.
Yeah but still stuck at 152. I was hoping that last person would bid again. The good news is my camp signs sold. I got only one bid at las minute so I just got the starting bid. But I contacted the guy and he bought it for a rails to trails project which is why I bought mine. So it is still going to a good cause.

Plus I have 2 more signs to sell. They were sent by mistake. Wrong image. They company let me keep them. So if I can sell those two for what I sold these for I make most of my money back. Not surer if I want to sell them one at a time or two.

I might contact this buyer and let him know I listed the additional signs.