Schematics program for mac?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by ale2121, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ale2121

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Hi,

does anyone know a free program I can use, on my Mac, to draw schematics with? I could use something like photoshop, but it's really annoying to have to redraw the symbols each time I want to draw a new schematic.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

You can use photoshop to draw the schematics.
    Here is a spanish site with all kinds of symbols:
    http://www.simbologia-electronica.com/index.htm?url=/_electronica/simbolos_electronicos.htm

Place the symbols in a directory and use insert picture from file to put them in your schematic.
    I use this method on my linux PC using KolourPaint, a KDE drawing program.
    I save the drawings in .png format to have them less fuzzy as the .jpg format ones.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. sbombs

Feb 26, 2010
    gEDA runs on the MAC, allegedly. I suggest joining gEDA-users if you decide to give it a try.
    http://www.gpleda.org/

4. ale2121

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Hey! thanks for the gEDA info. I'm sort of running it right now. I've got the schematics drawing program running. Now I'm just trying to get ngSpice to work. The PCB program works as well, but I'd like it to work with the schematics program and automatically convert my file. ...Still working on it, but thanks!

5. sbombs

Feb 26, 2010
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    PaintCAD would work fine with Mac, since it is a graphic approach and not software. I use M/S Paint to make the shapes, and you cut and past them using whatever your comfortable with.

Bill's Index

Introduction and PaintCAD

Having said that, most schematic programs will also allow you use the file to generate a PCB. This is an advantage not lightly discarded.

7. sbombs

Feb 26, 2010
    I forgot about Cenon. I used it once strictly for its ability to convert filetypes. Here's an image from their gallery:[​IMG]

8. superkrm

Oct 1, 2010