Schematic symbols?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by pfelectronicstech, Mar 16, 2012.

1. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Which of the these represents components that generate a voltage?

I'm pretty sure its A only. Do you agree?
    Thanks for the help.

2. jtrent

Mar 11, 2012
    I think you are right but you can read my full comments about each symbol here.

3. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    What about the photodiode (c)? Aren't solar cells large area photodiodes?

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    No, solar cells are much more complicated than that, and use solar rays to cause a chemical reaction to take place in the panel. Photodiodes are completely different.

I would definitely say A.

5. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Guys you have been a HUGE help. I have another one for ya in regards to those symbols.
    Light is often used to couple circuits in which noise pickup is a factor. Which one or ones of those symbols would be used for this purpose?

I thought it was symbols A, C, E, and G but now I'm rethinking that. I now think its A, C, D, and E. Any ideas?

Again thanks for the help.

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm assuming this is a homework assignment, so be prepared to think a bit.... :D

The first part of the question is a bit of an introduction. When you don't want to couple circuits together using wires, in which extraneous current can be induced and create noise, light is often used to connect the circuits. That suggests that you'll need two devices--one to send the light and one to receive it. So the first thing to think about is, Which of those devices have to do with light?

Regards

7. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Derstorm8, based on the website you sent me too with those great explanations of the symbols its, symbols A, C, E, and G. but I only say A because its in each of the answers but don't see how A fits. C, E, and G I am nearly certain about. Thanks again you have been a huge help.

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Um, I don't think I sent you a link to a website.... I suppose that was someone else?

9. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Sorry it was jtrent. Anyone know if I'm correct in that last question? I just want to be done with this HW assignment.

10. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    When you say that A is in each of the answers, do you mean that this is a multiple choice question and in each of the choices A is there?

11. jtrent

Mar 11, 2012
    Again we are back to the question of which symbols involve light. Does Symbol A involve light?

12. pfelectronicstech

Thread Starter Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Thanks guys I'm finished with my homework. I did well and I can move on now. Yes it was multiple choice. I appreciate all the help throughout the last 2 days. I may need more help in a few weeks. I love this "Electronics tech" course, it is seriously challenging but its still fun. I hope to make a great ET someday. Hey guys how hard is it to snag a first ET job out of school, any ideas? Thanks again for the help, I truly appreciate it.

13. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Don't know where you got that info. :confused: A standard solar panel is just an array of solar cells which are photovoltaic PN junction diodes, no chemical reaction involved.

14. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm, you're absolutely right. Sorry, I'm not sure where that information came from. Was thinking that's what I learned a long time ago. I guess next time I should do my own research before answering :p

Sorry about that, guys. Please ignore my previous post :rolleyes: