schematic symbol standards

MarkR

Joined May 12, 2008
Can anyone suggest an online resource for schematic symbols standards? I am looking for information such as how many zig zags in a resistor symbol, what is the angle between them, and how many loops for an inductor symbol. I believe IEEE may have some standards accessible to members only. Any other suggestions?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure that engineers like myself are quite that anal retentive. If you're asking about a hand drawn schematic then most of the draftsmen I ever knew along with myself used templates. You might find a legend on the template that refers to a MIL-STD or an ANSI standard. I have a Berol RapiDesign template for logic symbols with the legends
Rich (BB code):
MIL-STD-806
ANSI Y32.14
If you're talking about CAD systems then I suggest you fire one up and go to the symbol editor and break down the basic symbols. I'd give long odds for the construction of symbols on a fine grid with angles defined by integral numbers of horizontal and vertical steps. Said another way the tangents of all angled lines will be rational fractions.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Europeans don't even use the zig-zag for a resistor or loops for inductors. They use a rectangle - hollow for resistor and filled for inductor. The first time I saw a European schematic, it took me a few minutes to realize the unfamiliar symbol was a resistor. Different symbols are also used for the polarized capacitor.

Certainly, no global standard exists. Any organizational standards might be found by contacting the appropriate authority.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Standardisation of the actual layout physicalities of symbols is not something I have come across; that's not to say it doesn't exist. If you can get access look at the IEC 60617 standard, which is probably as close as you will get to an international standard for this.

Dave