Schematic Software

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Can anybody advise where I can get some schematic software to download.

Mine is so old and just stopped working.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
ExpressPCB:http://www.expresspcb.com/
Good schematic program. Free and easy to use. Limited to their board house for the PCB production though.

Ken
I started with ExpressPCB but the schematic editor was very plain, it was easy to lose track of what was what (no color coding or anything) and often just didn't look good to me. That topped with only using their board house is what turned me off to it for good. I switched to Eagle and liked it, though we're limited to two layers for the free version, and have a limited board size. But it has color coding, easy to read, pleasing to the eye, and has a lot of great features. You can also export it to gerber files which can be sent to almost any board house of your choosing. I've also tried other programs like DIPtrace and KiCAD, but didn't care much for the modular layout.

Just my opinion, anyway.
Matt

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Another vote for Eagle, there are quite a lot of parts libraries for it as well. I have tried a few others mentioned above over the past year or two but keep coming back to Eagle.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I was using an older DOS version of Orcad, but recently switched to Kicad which is free and no restriction on schematic size.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
ExpressPCB:http://www.expresspcb.com/
Good schematic program. Free and easy to use. Limited to their board house for the PCB production though.

Ken
Excellent for beginners. Very easy to use.

But I prefer DipTrace. A lot more features than ExpressPCB. Probably not as powerful as Eagle but a whole lot easier to learn. DipTrace is sort of middle of the road. Good for folks that just dabble like me.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
DipTrace is my preferred software: good schematic package, good PCB layout interface, good component editor, and good package designer.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Would someone post simple examples?

Will one of them cross over to do ladder diagrams? Even if not correct, just to doodle.:)

I've played with EKTS. Not much.:(
And digikey's schemelt.

Used Expresspcb but not the schematic part. I'll have to look again.

Still looking.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
PCB based S/W does not usually cater to PLC and ladder diagram/schematic format.
Although you could use it for this but most likely you would have to build your own component libraries from scratch?
Usually this is in the realm of Architectural/Electrical/Electronic/Hydraulic CAD programs.
Having used AutoCad from almost day one, I am now pretty much over the long learning curve for it, but it's forté is dedicated to the above examples.
You may get an older version (Acad14 etc) on ebay for low $'s.
Also DesignCAD.
Max.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
PCB based S/W does not usually cater to PLC and ladder diagram/schematic format.
Although you could use it for this but most likely you would have to build your own component libraries from scratch?

Max.
That's ok.
Most everything for myself is in a plc program.
It's just if I want to doodle something to post.:)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
DipTrace is my preferred software: good schematic package, good PCB layout interface, good component editor, and good package designer.
+1
Diptrace is great!!. I use it professionally and find there is very little you can't do on it.. And its very easy to learn to use it.. just run through the tutorial and off you go.. Far easier than Eagle IMO..

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Far easier than Eagle IMO..
And yet I spent hours with DIPtrace and still couldn't figure it out, while I was able to figure out the important parts of Eagle in 5 minutes :p

Maybe my mind just works strangely....

Anyway, there was a reason I didn't like DIPtrace but I can't remember what it was. I might try it again sometime soon. Was DIPtrace the one with a PCB editor that had everything outlined in yellow (traces, components, airwires, etc)? I couldn't keep track of what was a component and what was a wire!