Schematic/PCB question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by osx-addict, Aug 1, 2012.

1. osx-addict

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Ok.. next question if you don't mind.. What exactly constitutes a "pin" in the sense of some of these programs allowing free use when you have a design under say 500 pins or something like that.. Are we talking about connections between components (ICs, capacitors, resistors,etc) or does that also include intersections where two parts have a connection to each other?

For example -- in the simple schematic below that I found care of google, how many 'pins' is a schematic program going to see here? 12? 11? :confused: I just want to ensure I'm following the nomenclature here and that I understand the restrictions on these programs with limits but no cost. :rolleyes: TIA!
    165-ab8146eb6d.gif

P.S. On another note -- has anyone used the combo of TinyCAD and VeeCAD to produce prototypes for stripboards/veroboards? Seems like a nice pairing to go from a schematic to a prototype board via a netlist and let it figure out the wiring (mostly),etc.

2. bretm

Feb 6, 2012
    The definition of pin is up to the program. If I had to guess, I would say the 555 would count as 8 and each resistor, capacitor, switch, and speaker would count as 2.

3. osx-addict

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks Bret.. That's kinda what I figured but I wanted to check.. I figured the term might be standardized but perhaps not..

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Kicad is free and has no such restrictions.

Just sayin.

5. osx-addict

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I tried to get it to run on a Mac but no such luck.. Seemed like a big science experiment as I recall..

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I think Eagle is still free for small PCB sizes under 3" x 4" or something.

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I dare to say 13 pins.

8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    <chant> diptrace..diptrace..diptrace </chant>
    F*$k eagle... :)

In diptrace a pin is just that.. When you create your parts you define each pin on the IC.. The number of pins on all your components gets added up.
    500 pins is a fairly BIG project.

9. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Here's an example from DipTrace. Notice that the number of "pins" is 272, but the number of holes is 281; 281 holes = 272 pins + 5 vias + 4 mounting holes.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012