Scattered Laser Light Detection

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by roiHunter, Aug 31, 2015.

1. roiHunter

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I have an industrial application where operators use a red visible light pencil beam laser for guidance; visible laser diode, 2.2 mW, 635 Nm. The laser is mounted on a tripod and is battery powered with no control signals and is aligned using surveyed control points. The distance between the laser and target ranges from 40 to 150 feet in a dusty environment. I want to be able to detect if the operators have the laser turned on while they are operating, but without disrupting or otherwise interfering with the laser beam. Is there some sort of laser detector that can detect scattered laser light from, lets say, 6 inches away from the actual pencil beam at the target range.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Like standing beside the beam and watching for light being scattered by the dust? I guess you could detect the scattered light using a red filter on the detector, but it would be ever so much easier to have confidence if the laser had a frequency besides its wavelength. Much like an infrared remote control modulated at 38 kilohertz, you would watch for the modulation frequency. That would make it definite when you got a, "yes" result.

That's the best guess I have right now.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Why not simply monitor/tap into/replace the switch that turns the laser on?
    When the laser is turned on then you simply turn on a red "beacon" light or buzzer or whatever you want it to do..
    No need to "detect" anything..
    KISS

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have a compromise idea. Install a beam splitter in the laser and install the detector where the beam splitter will send half the light.

5. roiHunter

Aug 31, 2015
    There isn't any other laser light present so any laser light detected would be from the laser on the tripod.

6. roiHunter

Aug 31, 2015
    We considered putting a fan lens on the laser and then having the detector below the target to detect the laser line. This has merit if we can source an appropriate detector.

7. roiHunter

Aug 31, 2015
    The laser is tripod mounted and remote from any instrumentation so it is not desirable to run a signal cable to it. Thanks for the idea though.

8. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Quick test: Aimed laser at wall, inserted clear piece of plastic at 45 deg. no visible drop in wall light spot brightness, but sufficient light at 45 deg.to be detected ( post # 4 ).