Scalextric electromagnet project

Microice

Joined Oct 11, 2016
Hi,
I am undergoing an Engineering project in which i have elected to base it around Scalextric's. I am attempting to prevent the scalextric cars from falling off at turnings/corners through adding an electromagnet (on the bottom of the slot car). However, the electromagnet needs to be strong at turnings but weaker at straights, therefore i have thought of using a reflective opto switch which could detect perhaps a ball (this will slide to the side at a turning) and cause the electromagnet to somehow lower to increase its strength, and raise slightly again when the value from the opto switch is FALSE (ball is not on the side).

I am not sure how exactly this could work and be linked together, and this is what i need further guidance with, or any other ideas/ways of approaching this project.

Many Thanks

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
If this system worked really well and you could keep the car on the track round the corners even at max throttle then the whole point of Scalextric is lost :(

I don't think the magnet system would cause much extra drag so you could leave it activated all the time, so it could be a permanent magnet.

Sorry, this isn't helping your project much :oops: