Scale output of Potentiometer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by adamj12b, May 15, 2009.

1. adamj12b

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I have a potentiometer that has range of about 202 ohms. The range is about 982 to 1184 ohms. I need some way to scale the output of this to 0 to 5k ohms. Maybe somebody could give me an idea of how to go about doing this. I am not able to change out the pot either, as it is built into the application and non removable.

Thanks

-Adam

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    What is the application?

Why you need to make this change?

3. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Obviously this pot is part of a chain of resistors.
    It could be a trim pot used as a variable resistor or an actual pot. What do you mean by 'output'?

Mik is right we need more information.

4. adamj12b

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello. Sorry I was so vague. It was late and I was tired.

The potentiometer is on a drive by wire accelerator peddle that I purchased for an EV project. The peddle has 3 potentiometers in it. I will attach a picture of the small circuit board in the peddle.

Again, I am sorry for not being clearer. By output I meant resistance.

In the first picture I attached I filled in the measured resistance. In the second picture I showed the board as well as the wiper assembly. I hope this helps. If not just let me know.

-Adam

5. adamj12b

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I figured I might have confused someone by telling about the 3 pots in the peddle. I only need one of the 3 to work.

Pot 1 at the top of the pic, pin 2 for the wiper and 4 and 5 for the outputs.

Pot 2 in the middle of the pic, pin 3 is the wiper and 5 and 4 for the outputs.

Pot 3 at the bottom of the pic, pin 8 is the wiper and 5 and 6 for the outputs.

I hope this helps.

-Adam

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Yup yo sure confussed me.

Even an attempt at explaining the circuit would be more informative than the picture.

7. adamj12b

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Ok, I see how that picture could be tough. I created another pictorial of how the pot circuit lays out. So on one side of the pot is a 145 ohm resistor, on the other side a 206 ohm resistor and on the center pin there is a 788 ohm resistor. When the pot is turned, the resistance between the first pin and the center pin increases by 200 ohms. I need the resistance range of this pot to be 0 to 5000 ohms for my application. I hope this is easier to understand.

-Adam

8. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I don't see how your circuit could generate the readings.

The resistance between terminals 1 and 2 must change in the opposite sense to the resistance between terminals 2 and 3 if your circuit is correct.

9. Dr Oetker

May 21, 2009
    Hi,

Your numbers don't match, but it is likely that you have some contact resistance on pot's moving part. Also, the min-max reading are mixed up, but nevertheless, I know what you need to achieve. While it is possible (and easy) to scale down pot's range it is not possible to scale i tup, with passives. Sorry, you will need to spend few $ for a 5k (4.7----5.6k) pot.

10. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    I was hoping if I asked enough questions someone would recognise the thing and know what to do.

Welcome

11. adamj12b

Thread Starter Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Well, I guess I will have to find something else that will work for my application. Thanks guys for the help.

-Adam